Date:
Fri, 21 Feb 97 15:37:46 EST

Tom,

I gather you're looking for protein?  We used to ride a lot (Canada-Mexico on
Hwy1, Scotland, NE US) and we relied heavily on nuts for protein.  We'd keep
a bag of peanuts as well as carbohydrates in the handlebar bag and dip in as
needed.

Another protein source which you need to recheck to make sure formula's
haven't changed is Oberto Peppered Jerky.  It was gluten free a year ago and
I keep it in our earthquake kit since it has a shelf-life of probably 100
years!

Another option is granola--Make your own substituting crushed sliced almonds
for the oatmeal in most recipes.  I've done this with our favorite cashew
granola and it's quite good.  I've also substituted puffed rice for the
oatmeal in the recipe.

A final option are Health Valley's brown rice granola bars.  I've spoken with
the company and these are GF.  They have a tropical fruit flavor that is
outstanding.  They come prepackaged, 4 to a box.  I keep them in my car for
emergency eating.

Hope this helps.  I know from experience that when you're burning 5-7000
calories a day you need more than a rice cake to munch on!!!!

Vicki
Pacific NorthWET