From:
Diane Humphrey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 02:54:52 -0600

   The article found at the following link will in no way surprise those of us
following the issue of genetically modified foods.  If we don't speak out
now, we have no reason to complain in the future when celiacs and others
with food allergies and intolerances are reacting to these altered foods
that are not labeled as such.

   If you missed it in the news earlier this fall, Monarch butterflies have
been killed because of corn that has been genetically engineered to be
resistant to a European corn borer (which is not even a big problem in the
US)

   Guess what?  The pollen from the corn contaminates their food supply!
Sound familiar?  As if celiacs don't have to deal with enough possible cross
contamination!

   Here's the link to the story:

   Big Money in Washington Opposes Labeling & Safety-Testing of GE Foods
http://www.purefood.org/ge/bigmoney.cfm Holly Bailey reports on the issue of
regulating genetically modified food currently brewing in Congress. Bailey
notes that the labeling of genetically engineered foods is at the forefront
of this battle. She says, "Lawmakers there say not enough research has been
done to indicate whether wonder foods, like freeze-resistant tomatoes or
corn crops that repel insects, truly are safe to eat."