From:
Deborah Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Deborah Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Mar 2004 07:36:18 -0800

Apparently we don’t have a lot of information among us about the research on using gluten to create biodegradable plastic.  There are already on the market containers derived from corn.  Here are a couple of links about those:

http://www.healthwell.com/delicious-online/d_backs/mar_04/update2.cfm

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/techinnovations/2004-02-13-corncontainer_x.htm?POE=TECISVA

One responder said that she had seen these in her local Wild Oats market.  They were marked

with a sticker identifying them as corn-derived.  Another listmate had heard that packing peanuts

are sometimes made of starch, and also said that she has seen kids building toys that were

similar and made of an “unspecified” starch.I don’t know if these kinds of materials would be a

problem for us or not.  I also don’t know that anyone will research this aspect of these materials

until or unless there is a problem.

Deborah in OKC

Do you Yahoo!?