From:
Lacustral <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lacustral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Dec 2004 07:29:03 -0500

I got a kidney infection in 2003, that was a few months after I had gone
on a diet that was free of foods I was intolerant to, including gluten.
So I thought, except that i was eating fructose, So I would have been
eating about a milligram of corn protein per day, Which I later turned out
to be intolerant to.

Corn has a protein called zein, that is the analog of gliadin in wheat.
Time-release drugs often have zein in them so they are especially likely
to cause problems.  It was a time-release antibiotic that made me sick
recently.

I'm practically
sure that some people, like me, might make anti-gliadin IGA antibodies
that also react to corn.  (one person told me absolutely that this can't
happen but I'm almost sure that's wrong).  Of course, other gluten intolerant
people's IgA antibodies might *not* bind to zein in corn.  An
"anti-gliadin IgA antibody" is not a particular definite protein with one
definite sequence.  There might be thousands or millions of different
possibilities for what the amino acid sequence of an anti-gliadin IgA
antibody can be.

One of the celiac disease experts in the archives said that celiacs are
especially prone to kidney problems.  I really wonder if this is because
of IgA nephropathy, micro-damage to the kidneys from IgA/antigen
complexes, making the kidneys more vulnerable to infection.

I got sick from the kidney infection after having a bladder infection
without any symptoms, hardly.  You can die from a kidney infection.  I
have never been sicker in my *life*.

Some people emailed that they didn't take antibiotics for bladder
infections, they just take cranberry juice or whatever.  This is
dangerous, especially if you are gluten intolerant - For me, it seemed my
kidneys were very vulnerable to being infected, since I got a kidney
infection without having an obvious bladder infection.  I go to the
doctor *right away* if I have the *slightest* symptom of a bladder
infection, because I DON'T want to get another kidney infection.

If you are worried about yeast overgrowth on antibiotics - a lot of
antibiotics don't cause yeast overgrowth.  I usually ask the doctor about
this, and they say some antibiotics are absorbed in the upper small
intestine or are not broad-spectrum antibiotics, i.e. they only kill a
few kinds of bacteria, so they are unlikely to cause yeast overgrowth.
But some do cause yeast overgrowth, and you can always ask for Nystatin,
or take caprylic acid tablets with the antibiotics, to prevent yeast.
Caprylic acid is an antifungal fatty acid that you can get OTC.

Laura