Date:
Tue, 25 Sep 2007 04:07:59 -0700

I feel that I need to put my two cents in here...

  I recently put my two cats on a food allergy trial. They had been having multiple ear infections which the vet said could be caused by a food allergy. Apparently, food allergies are fairly common. After switching to a prescription low-allergen food for several months, there was no change in my cats so I went back to their normal food.

  My point here is that... from what I can gather from this conversation, almost everyone who has put their dogs and cats on a GF diet has simply switched to a low-allergen food. Has anyone thought that this is simply food allergies and not celiac? It just seems to me that too many are jumping to drastic conclusions (i.e. that all pets should be GF, etc) instead of considering more simple alternatives. I don't know about dogs, but cats can be allergic to anything from chicken and fish, to various grains (such as wheat).

  This is all just my opinion, of course, but as has been stated many times before "not everything is celiac disease." I wish you and your pets good health and happiness.

  Angela Taylor