From:
Tom Fitzsimmons <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 14 Aug 2002 14:17:03 +0100

On August 2nd, I posted a query asking if others had noted a change
in blood color and clotting speed and an increased sensitivity to
caffeine after going off gluten.  I've received 17responses to date
and it appears that will be all who respond, and so I am now posting
the second part of a summary in two parts.

To those who responded, many thanks, and I hope I am not offending by
"cutting and pasting" from your response to make up this summary.
You are a sampling of a wonderful community of people and although I
am not pleased to be gluten-intolerant, I am certainly pleased to
know that I am in such good company!

Tom Fitzsimmons

When I add comments or replies or explanatory words, they will be in
square brackets [blah, blah, blah].  When I leave-out words, I type
an ellipsis, that is, three dots as:  (...)

Second summary: respondents comment on sensitivity to caffeine after
boing GF:

***

I am way too sensitive to caffeine as it makes my veins (in my palms)
inflame and turn bluish and cold.
[Sounds almost like Raynaud's Syndrome.]

***

I did not notice any difference in the way caffeine effects me.  I
could drink three cups of coffee and fall right to sleep.

***

I found the exact same results. (...) After 6 months of approximate
same caloric intake I had put on 10 pounds, coffee gave me a buzz if
I drink more than one cup(...) My theory is that  as the cilia
healed, I began to absorb things that I didn't before.  I asked my
doctor about this and he agreed.

***

I have been gluten-free for two years.  Previously I drank four cups
of tea daily and sometimes more.  Now I drink only one cup of tea  in
the early morning.  When I went on the gluten free diet, it would
appear that I started absorbing the caffeine, causing the tea to keep
me awake at night.   It will be interesting to see whether others on
the list have that experience.

***

I discovered the same problem with caffeine.  I have been GF for one
and a half years also, and had to stop consuming caffeine entirely
about six months ago.  I was only drinking one glass of Iced Tea each
day, but even that small amount of caffeine sent me "over the edge".
I decided it just wasn't worth it anymore - I switched to sparkling
water instead, with some fresh lemon or lime juice added for flavor.
Hope you find something that works for you.

***

Among many other changes, I am certainly more sensitive to caffeine
after my diagnosis.

***

I have been off gluten only since May 1 (...) Sensitivity for
caffeine was the first quantifiable sign for my thyroid problem,
Graves Disease.  When your thyroid hormone levels are too high, you
already feel like you are hyped up on too much coffee.  I would look
up Graves Disease and see if any other symptoms check out. People
with Celiac Disease have a much higher chance of having Graves than
the general population.
[I immediately read-up on Graves Disease, but think I'm free of it at
the moment.]

***

I have experienced the exact same thing.  I was diagnosed in Feb.
(...) Since going gluten free, I found caffeine does weird things to
my body.  So, I finally gave it up.

***

You might be actually reacting to the acid in tea and coffee if you
are having stomach symptoms such as bloating. (...) Can you tell me
what kind of reaction you've been getting from caffeine or tea and
coffee?
[My reaction to caffeine is to feel unusually "hyper" and wide-eyed,
where before I could sip coffee all day and even have a few cups
before bedtime and not be affected nearly so much.]

***