From:
karen and andy maines <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Apr 1996 21:02:08 -0400

Hi everyone. I was not very specific when I tried to summarize the diet
pepsi responses so if your interested let me try again.

The majoriy of the responses, over 20, said they react to artifical
sweetners, sorbital, nutrasweet, sweet and low with gluten like reactions
ranging from diarrhea and cramps to headaches and dizziness. No one has info
that these sweeteners contain gluten.

I also received at least four responses that feel caramel color could be the
problem. Pepsi said that their caramel color process did not cause gluten to
be present in the drink, and that it was gluten free. I am not sure they are
totally clear on what gluten free is.

I also received the following suggestions
>I read that phenylalanine is chemically similiar to gliaden.Maybe someone
>could verify if this could be your problem.Hope this helps.You might want to
>search the archives to see if you can find the

>I am intolerant to nsaids. That includes aspirin. Dr. Ben Feingold,  in his
>book "Why Your Child is Hyperactive" he says that people who are intolerant
>of asperins are likely to have difficulty with certain food dyes. Is it
>possible that you are having trouble with some dye in the pepsi? Aspirins
>cause me intestinal bleeding. I have only had afew gluten reactions that do
>that.

>Just a thought.

>Ron Hoggan

I also had a response that can drink coke but not pepsi.

I think that sums it up. I have not decided what I think caused the problem.
The majority of respondents feel strongly that artificial sweeteners are bad
so I plan to avoid them.

Thanks again everyone!

Karen and Andy Maines