From:
Erin Snyder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Erin Snyder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Apr 2003 19:08:33 -0500

Hello,

Do any of you know whether the ELISA tests for anti-gliadin IgA,
anti-gliadin IgG, and anti-tTG IgA are standardized?  I know that ELISA
results vary depending on what format is used, the sensitivity of the test,
the presence of interfering substances, etc.  I would expect that the normal
range would vary from test to test, unless they are standardized in some
way.  This is why the sensitivity of the assay or the method detection limit
are always reported in peer-reviewed journal articles.  I started wondering
about this more when I found that the normal range for IgG tests differed
between two different labs that tested me.  Also, I'm not sure what units
they are using.  Is there an international standard unit (usually reported
as IU)?  One of my tests was reported as AU, which probably means absorption
units; this suggests even more that the normal range may vary from test to
test.  If no one here knows, I probably will contact a lab to see what they
say.

Thank you,
Erin