From:
Karen Bulmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Apr 1996 08:14:11 -0700

Last summer we went camping to Montana.  I phoned ahead to see if there was
a freezer in the little store that I could borrow some room in and there was
no problem.  Our bread goes bad very fast and we were staying for two weeks.
They let me store my frozen stuff in there, which consisted of premade GF
hamburgers, hotdogs, buns, bread.  I take fresh fruit, vegetables, potatoes.
I take some macaroni/cheese whiz, rice, gf cereals.  I premade some puffed
rice squares, chocolate and marshmallow (of course I am travelling with my 3
yr old celiac and myself and then 3 non-celiacs).  We use a camp stove as
well as a small portable BBQ.  We camp in tents with coolers, no plug ins
and were close to civilization where I could stock up on the fresh stuff,
milk, eggs, etc. Every couple of days.  I though we took enough GF
marshmallows but didn't so the little store had some with only food starch
listed but a 1-800 number, so I borrowed the stores phone, called up the
manufacturer and was guaranteed GF marshmallows so I bought all 3 bags left
in the store.

I prepackaged pancake mixes (GF) that all family members ate.  As long as
you are not planning on taking a lot of manufacturers pre-made meals you
will do just fine.  I planned each days meals before leaving, had all the
meats frozen for the 5 days in one cooler and they stayed nicely frozen
since we didn't open it often.  We ate from the cooler first and then went
to the freezer in the camp ground for the rest of our meats then did some
shopping for the remainder of the trip.

Since it was a family re-union we had a couple of pot-luck dinners, one
where everyone brought a dish and the other everyone pooled their hotdogs
and hamburgers.  For the potluck I made meatballs with mushroom gravy and
rice.  This was all made at the campground with my cook stove and everyone
was ecstatic to find this type of meal while camping (I even had GF soy
sauce for the rice with me).  The only thing we did was before everyone
started dipping was to remind, NO DOUBLE DIPPING, and I stood guard to make
sure.  For the hot-dog/hamburger event we reserved a corner of the BBQ for
our meats and I did the cooking beside the designated cooker.

And since Corn Pops are GF in the states, we ate those all week and brought
back 4 boxes.  The cashier looked at us a little funny when we were buying 6
boxes of corn pops.  Even with the exchange rate it was a deal since our GF
store here that brings them in sells them for about $10/box, of course we
wait for friends to go to the States and ask them to bring some back.

Karen, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada