Date:
Thu, 26 Jan 2012 22:58:25 -0600

Hi All~~

Most of you have probably figured this out, but apparently it takes me a
while. I've be strictly GF for 11 years. In the past five years I've
struggled with trying to understand why the really good GF foods I prepare
are met with sometimes less than enthusiasm I think they deserve.
Hmmmmm....my friends (those who are left) are not always thrilled to come
share meals with me. I'm a good cook, so I was mystified.

Last week, I baked several dozen rolled soft and thick sugar cookies with
frosting - not too sweet and very tender. To me, the cookies tasted exactly
as they did 11 years ago, pre-GF diet. I took half a dozen to a good
neighbor. Thirty minutes later she called to tell me she ate one of my
cookies and liked it. She went on to say that they were a taste one would
have to get used to, but they didn't make her want to gag or vomit. It
suddenly occurred to me that after eating a strict GF diet for many years,
many of us think that non-GF eaters will taste what we taste. Non so much.
What an Ahah! moment and valuable lesson for me. First, always try to get
opinions on your GF food from an honest, truthful non-GF friend. Secondly,
if you want to taste test a GF food you've made, test it on non-GF
people...preferably those who will give honest feedback and offer
constructive criticism.

This was a truly valuable lesson! I'll be much more understanding of those
who don't embrace GF foods as I think they should...

Cheers~~Ayn in Kansas

--
*
We never touch people so lightly that we do not leave a trace...* Millen