From:
Debra Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Debra Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Nov 2006 23:22:29 -0500

(4) AREAS OF RESEARCH / RESOURCES

(a) You may find websites [regarding autism] very helpful with this sort of
information since there seems to be a general consensus between a gluten
free diet and improved autistic symptoms.  Also, another correlation may be
to go about it backwards...if the kids have a history of ear infections than
you may be able to link the two.

(b) Contact the ASHA-American Speech-Language-Hearing Association.   Someone
there may be able to guide you to some research.

(c) Speech delay is common in the wide range of pervasive development
disorders, which include Asperbergers, Autism, sensory disorders.  What is
less known is that there is appearing to be some sort of link between celiac
disease and PDD.

(d) There are two very well designed studies of celiac children in
connection with learning difficulties and developmental delays.  [See also
(3) (c), above.]  Abstracts are pasted below:

1: Pediatrics. 2004 Jun;113(6):1672-6.Click here to read  Links

        Range of neurologic disorders in patients with celiac disease.

        * Zelnik N,
        * Pacht A,
        * Obeid R,
        * Lerner A.

    Department of Pediatrics, Carmel Medical Center, The Bruce Rappaport
Faculty of Medicine, Technion-Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa, Israel.

    OBJECTIVE: During the past 2 decades, celiac disease (CD) has been
recognized as a multisystem autoimmune disorder. A growing body of distinct
neurologic conditions such as cerebellar ataxia, epilepsy, myoclonic ataxia,
chronic neuropathies, and dementia have been reported, mainly in middle-aged
adults. There still are insufficient data on the association of CD with
various neurologic disorders in children, adolescents, and young adults,
including more common and "soft" neurologic conditions, such as headache,
learning disorders, attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), and tic
disorders. The aim of the present study is to look for a broader spectrum of
neurologic disorders in CD patients, most of them children or young adults.
METHODS: Patients with CD were asked to fill in a questionnaire regarding
the presence of neurologic disorders or symptoms. Their medical charts were
reviewed, and those who were reported as having neurologic manifestations
underwent neurologic examination and brain imaging or electroencephalogram
if required. Their neurologic data were compared with that of a control
group matched for age and gender. RESULTS: Patients with CD were more prone
to develop neurologic disorders (51.4%) in comparison with control subjects
(19.9%). These disorders include hypotonia, developmental delay, learning
disorders and ADHD, headache, and cerebellar ataxia. Epileptic disorders
were only marginally more common in CD. In contrast, no difference was found
in the prevalence of tic disorders in both groups. Therapeutic benefit, with
gluten-free diet, was demonstrated only in patients with transient infantile
hypotonia and migraine headache. CONCLUSION: This study suggests that the
variability of neurologic disorders that occur in CD is broader than
previously reported and includes "softer" and more common neurologic
disorders, such as chronic headache, developmental delay, hypotonia, and
learning disorders or ADHD. Future longitudinal prospective studies might
better define the full range of these neurologic disorders and their
clinical response to a gluten-free diet.

1: Pediatr Rehabil. 1997 Jan-Mar;1(1):25-33. Links

    Comment in:
        Pediatr Rehabil. 1997 Oct-Dec;1(4):245.

    Urine patterns, peptide levels and IgA/IgG antibodies to food proteins
in children with dyslexia.

        * Knivsberg AM.

    Center for Reading Research, Stavanger College, Norway.

    There is an association between psychiatric disorders and dyslexia. In
some psychiatric disorders abnormal urinary peptide patterns and peptide
levels, and elevated levels of IgA antibodies to food proteins have been
detected. These abnormalities are probably due to insufficient breakdown of
the proteins gluten and casein. The aim of this study was to discover
whether such abnormalities could be found in urine samples and serum of
children with dyslexia. After screening 291 pupils in the fourth grade, 15
dyslexics and 15 controls were pairwise matched by gender, age, and
cognitive level. Word decoding, spelling, and short-term memory tests were
carried out, and information on handedness, immune and other disorders was
obtained. Analyses of 24-h urine samples and of serum were performed. The
reading abilities significantly differentiated the groups, and significant
differences were found in frequency of left-handedness, immune disorders and
other disorders. Three dyslexic children had elevated IgA antibodies. Two of
these had positive endomycium tests, and coeliac disease was confirmed by
biopsy. One had antibodies to proteins in milk. Our findings may suggest
weak urinary peptide abnormalities in the dyslexic children, and they show
significant differences in levels of IgA of antibodies to food proteins.

(e) A very new study of neurological disease in celiac children was
presented, in poster format, at the XII International Celiac Disease
Symposium 2006 in New York City last week. Bruce Roseman, et. al., from
Columbia University, are recommending, based on their findings, that all
children with neurological disease be screened for celiac disease.  [I
received a file regarding this study via e-mail attachment.  If you would
like me to forward it to you, please let me know at [log in to unmask]]

(f) I heard Jean Guest, RD, of CSA speak at a CSA conference in Albuquerque.
I seem to recall her mentioning something about eating/chewing being
important to developing the muscles needed for speech.  Little kids w/
celiac will quit eating because their bodies realize it's making them sick
which has implication beyond nutrition.   She might be able to help you find
the references you need.  About the only contact e-dress I could find at the
CSA website was [log in to unmask]  In subject line, write Attn: Jean
Guest.

(5)  PROFESSIONAL OPINIONS

(a) From a speech-language pathologist who has been working with children
from birth to age five for over 10 years:  Both myself and my daughter were
diagnosed with CD 3 1/2 years ago. I certainly do not know all there is to
know about CD but am continuing to learn more via wonderful forums like this
and the internet since there is not a good support network where I live. I
am not aware of any research that specifically links CD with speech and
language delays. I just searched the American Speech-Language Hearing
Association site and found nothing there either. I think one could certainly
link some of the possible symptoms of CD with spech and language delays. It
is widely published that a history of chronic middle ear infections leads to
increased likelihood of speech and language delays. Although CD is not an
allergy it certainly does cause immunologic reactions in the body in
response to the gluten. My daughter had chronic middle ear fluid her first
year of life but it did not always develop into ear infections. Luckily I
had the equipment to test for middle ear fluid and kept on top of it. I
convinced my PCP to refer her to an ENT and we had tubes placed at one year
of age. I don't think it would be a big stretch to link children who have a
history of undiagnosed CD and chronic middle ear infection to
speech-language delays.
I know I have read articles in the past naming a possible link between CD
and neurological disorders in adults. Although I again do not know of any
specific research in this area with children, I think it is an area that
should be researched. How your brain functions neurologically is absolutely
linked with speech and language development. So is there are possible
neurological disorders in adults could there not also be neurological
disorders in children with CD.
I know these aren't real answers but I think an area that certainly warrants
more research.

(b) From a speech professor:  Boys speak much later than girls and younger
siblings do, too. and....when a child is sick, then speech is delayed...all
very normal!!!
Don't panic!!!!!  Your children probably don't HAVE to speak because one of
their siblings is speaking for them...why bother?  You've got to add a
little stress to them....simply put...don't understand them.  When they
point and grunt at cookies say "oh, do you want that apple?"  He'll say "no"
and then you say" do you want that shoe"  etc  eventually, say the correct
word....and "is that what you want"  why didn't you say so.   Then give it
to him and go on your way.  Gradually, add words ...he'll get it.  and
...you won't be able to shut him up.  If this doesn't work in six months or
so...THEN take them to speech therapists...not now.
My neighbor had a little boy, the youngest who just didn't talk.  His father
went crazy.  I told him what I told you...it was beginning to work...slowly
at first ...until they went to visit relatives in Ca...lots of cousins. lots
of activity and I guess he felt left out.  Well, he began to talk and never
shut up.......try it.it works
you have no idea how many people have come to me with the same problem and
all the kids are fine now.   be persistent and consistent in "understanding"
him.....don't let or understand when other kids "translate"

(c) From an author, B.A., B.Ed., M.A., Ed. D.:  collaborating on a study of
gluten sensitive children and an exploration of their learning capacities.
Our preliminary data suggest a correlation between several learning
difficulties and gluten sensitivity.

(d) From a retired school psychologist:  I have not really heard or read
anything about specific language problems related to celiac. I have heard
much more about motor and spatial problems and attentional problems.Speech
problems may have a major impact on reading development.