From:
Mary Courtney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Apr 1996 20:54:12 -0700

Celiac friends,

I finally gave up on processed rice cereals because I tend to eat them a
lot and was noticing what you might call a reduction in physical and mental
performance.

I still keep Lundberg's hot cereal on hand because the Lundbergs have won
my trust, even with their flavored rice cereals. (If they ever start making
gluten cereals, I will simply stop buying their rice cereals. The risk is
too great for me.)

So, here's what I do instead. Mind you, it took me a while to get in the
habit, but the payoff has been marvelous. Those of you who are already rice
aficionados: Read no further.

I've always had a nice variety of rices on hand. But a recent health
 meltdown was the kick-in-the-butt I needed to do something revolutionary:
I started Cooking the darn stuff Regularly. Now if there isn't fresh,
leftover, or frozen cooked rice in my kitchen it is time to pull out two
pots and make two kinds of rice all at once.

I start with the sticky white rice. It needs to soak for 10 minutes in the
pot before cooking for 10 minutes. It's great for dessert or if I just want
that low-food-value thrill that you can't get from brown rice. I also use
it for breakfast when I don't have leftovers and can't wait for brown rice
to cook.

Then, I might cook the aromatic brown rice I found at Trader Joe's. It is
good with anything. Like all brown rices, it must simmer at least 40
minutes.

Other rice choices include:
Short grain brown rice which is sweet and is supposed to give you an energy
boost.
Jasmine (white) rice which smells heavenly and goes very well with Thai
food.
Basmati rice, Long grain brown rice . . .
Wild rice (if it's not too rough on your gut) . .

You don't have to just add water:
For dessert or breakfast rice, cook in (all or part) coconut milk. I notice
that coconut milk now comes in lowfat versions. Look for the kinds without
additives. Or make your own with hot water, shredded coconut, a blender and
a strainer. (Repeat process, reusing the coconut solids.)
For dinner rice, use GF broth as all or part of the cooking liquid. YUM.

Critical rice-cooking tool (if you don't have a rice cooker): An insulating
metal thingy that you put between the pot and the burner when it's time to
turn the rice down very very low. Mine has a wooden handle.

Fun things to do with leftover rice:

When it has just cooled, transfer rice to an air-tight container to keep it
from drying out. I put brown rice in small serving sized containers to grab
when I'm leaving the house. I might add toasted sesame seeds to one of them
so I can have a tasty treat while out and about. You can also make a salad
with rice. Improvise.

My favorite breakfast:
I put rice and GF soy milk in a bowl and add sliced bananas, raisins,
almond slivers (or pecan halves). Sometimes I heat it up, sometimes I eat
it cold.

Lunch on the road:
Cooked rice with toasted sesame seeds. Add canned GF chicken or tuna. Basil
flakes are a favorite of mine.

Meal in a blender:
Cooked rice and GF soy milk (or milk if you can take it), sliced fruit or
GF jam (or carob powder and/or sugar/banana). EggBeaters add extra protein
and froth. Mix the rice and soy milk quite a while for extra smoothness. I
expect to be pulled over someday for drinking this blend while driving.
Don't spill it on your office clothes!

Karen Davis' blender recipes also include nut butters. Look for them in the
archives.

If you are absolutely new to rice cooking, here's the basics: Heavy
bottomed pot is best. Wash brown rice until the rinse water is clear. Don't
wash enriched white rice and sticky rice. Some people use measuring cups to
determine rice to liquid ratio (check a cookbook). I fill pot with rice up
to my first knuckle and add liquid up to my second knuckle. Bring rice to a
boil, then turn very low (tip: use insulator under pot) and set timer.
Don't peek at rice while it's cooking. When the timer goes off, (or earlier
if you smell the rice at the bottom of the pot start to burn!) grab a fork
and pull out some grains to test between your teeth. I would imagine that
celiacs tend to like their rice soft rather than _al dente_.

Wishing all of you more and more improvements in your well-being. Please
send good thoughts my way on Wednesday the 24th. I've got a interview for a
full-time job in lovely Santa Monica.

Thank you,
Mary

Mary Courtney