From:
Scott Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Mar 1996 13:32:33 -0500

My son Christopher, age 5, has been on the gluten-free, casein-free diet
for 17 mos.  He has autism, but apparently not CD because he flunked the
biopsy.  Now he has the worse diarrhea ever, even before the diet.
Christopher has had the diahrea for 6 days now.  I am extremely careful
about his food and preparation, so I don't think it's gluten
contamination.  He also has stomach cramps, but no fever or nausea, and
he is hungry.  So the doctor thinks its a virus and prescribed Levsin
elixer, an antispasmodic, for the cramps.  The manufacturer (Schwab) says
it is gluten free.  I haven't given him any yet because the cramps have
been intermittent.  I've given him cream of rice cereal, bananas, Kame
rice crackers, rice, and diluted juice.  He's also had eggs, french toast
made with GF bread, and pears.  None of this has botherd him before.

My question is what do gluten intolerant people do in this situation?
And if it actually was gluten contamination, shouldn't he be getting
better now?  Behaviorly, it does not seem like he's eaten gluten.  He is
happy and plays, rides his bike etc.  When he has gotten gluten
accidently before he's been more aggressive, talked less and cried a lot.
Any thoughts any of you have would be welcome.  Thank you.

Lynne Davis  Louisville, KY