From:
James Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jun 1998 13:46:06 EDT

One of the common questions the listowners are asked is, "How can I turn
off e-mail from the list while I'm gone?"  The followup question is
then, "How do I get all the posts I missed?"  Our subscribers north of
the equator take a lot of vacations this time of the year, so I thought
I'd answer these questions on the list.

To temporarily turn off your mail from the CELIAC list, send a message
to [log in to unmask] containing the following line:

   SET CELIAC NOMAIL

When you return from vacation, you can turn mail from the list back on
using this command:

   SET CELIAC MAIL

Now, how do you get all those posts you missed?  If you have web access,
you can easily read all the posts by going to:

  http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/celiac.html

Just select the week you want to read.  To read them in the order they
were posted, select "Date" in the "Sort by": options at the top of the
week's postings.

If you don't have web access or have trouble accessing the web page, you
can also get the posts you missed via e-mail.  Just send a message to
the same address listed above and use the GET command.  For instance, to
get all the posts in weeks two and three of June, you'd send a message
with these two commands:

   GET CELIAC LOG9806B
   GET CELIAC LOG9806C

The "98" is the year, the "06" is the month, and the "B" and "C" refer
to the second and third weeks of the month.  (So the last letter must
be either A, B, C, D, or E.)

The logfiles for those two weeks would be sent to you as e-mail
messages.

Some people have limits on the size of the messages they can receive.
For instance, I believe Juno subscribers are limited to messages that
are 60K (about 60,000 characters) in length.  Our weekly logfiles are
usually larger than that.  So what can they do?  Well, there is an
additional keyword that will cause the logfiles to be split up into
multiple e-mail messages, each of which would be below the limit.  For
instance, to get those same two files, split up into messages that are
50K (50,000 characters) in length, send these commands instead:

   GET CELIAC LOG9806B SPLIT=50K
   GET CELIAC LOG9806C SPLIT=50K

The files will arrive in "pieces" as separate e-mail messages (and not
necessarily in the correct order).

Using these commands, you can avoid having your e-mail box fill up
while you are gone, and still catch up on all the messages you missed
when you get back.

--
-- Jim Lyles .............. Home: [log in to unmask]
-- Holly, Michigan, USA ... Work: [log in to unmask]