From:
Kathy Alexander <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 May 1996 11:18:50 -0500

To all who are outward bound (on vacation or work) this summer...Many
libraries have phone books on microfiche or CD ROM (computer).  (If you are
not sure how or where to find these sources, reference librarians can be
valuable friends!)  You can look at your home library for the fiche or CD's
with the phone books for the areas you will be travelling to, and check the
yellow pages  under "health food stores" or some such topic.  Some listings
will be for small places that stock only vitamins and supplements of some
certain brand.  But other listings will indicate they carry a broader range
of products.  Those broader range stores are most likely to have GF flours,
breads, pastas, cereals, etc.  You can even make or print copies of the
yellow pages and carry them with you, or call ahead.  I have used this
technique from Florida to California (admittedly not in foreign countries)
with success.  (But I always pack some stuff for the road and for emergencies.)

Of course, you can always wait till you hit your destination, and THEN check
the yellow pages themselves (instead of a library).

When purchasing things from smaller stores, especially, be sure to check
freshness dates, and make sure flours which might become rancid (e.g. brown
rice flour, rice bran, etc.) are refrigerated or frozen.  (Some small stores
I have shopped have not had refrigeration units.)

This is my first posting to the list, not just a private reply.  Hope it works!

Kathy A.
Kathy Alexander
Assistant Director
MBA Program