From:
Arthur Spiegel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Arthur Spiegel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Sep 2010 13:40:42 -0400

Since I learned to cook Italian Food in my favorite "aunt's" kitchen, I dedicate all of my Italian style foods to her. She would have used regular seasoned bread crumbs, but we are modifying the recipe, since there is no reason why Celiac patients can't enjoy this wonderful stuff. I made a batch the other day and everyone raved about the recipe, so I will share it with you, my list buddies. I have no financial interest in any of the companies whose products I use. I just like the way they taste. All spices referred to are as I used them in the recipe. However, I urge you to modify spice usage according to your family's preferences. Some folks like their food spicier than others. You will note repeated applications of spices throughout the preparation of this meal. I have heard Chef Emeril LeGasse call this "layering" of flavors. It works well, so I have adopted his method. Tip of the hat to Emeril - BAM!

1 large eggplant
2 eggs
2 tablespoons of water
red pepper flakes
Kosher Salt
Garlic powder
Olive Oil
Parmesan Cheese
McCormick's Italian Seasoning Blend
Hormel Pepperoni
Amy's Spaghetti Sauce (use your favorite style and brand or your own homemade Italian red gravy)
1.5 cups Pamela's Gluten Free Bread and Flour Mix
1 cup Ricotta Cheese
Shredded Mozzarella Cheese

Part I - The Dredging Mix

First I take 1.5 cups of Pamela's GF Bread and Flour Mix and put it in a mixing bowl. To the flour add two heaping tablespoons of garlic powder, two tablespoons of Kosher salt, two heaping tablespoons of McCormick's Italian Seasoning Blend. thoroughly blend the spices in the flour mix. Set aside 1/2 of a cup. You may need it later, if you have more eggplant slices than you expect. Of course, you can make more, if you're preparing this meal for a big group. Take a cup or so of your spiced flour mix and place it in a deep dish for dredging the eggplant slices and set this aside. If you have not used the extra dredging mix. Save it in a plastic bowl. You can use the spiced flour in many recipes.

Part II - The Egg Wash

Take 2 whole eggs and remove them from their shells. You can use just the whites, if you prefer. Add 2 tablespoons of water to the eggs, salt and red pepper flakes; beat the egg mixture as though for scrambled eggs. Place into the fridge until you're ready to prepare the eggplant for dredging

Part III - The Ricotta Cheese Mix

Take 1 cup of ricotta cheese, add 1/3 cup of fresh grated parmesan cheese, salt, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes and McCormick's Italian Spice Blend. Blend well. If you want the meal to be completely vegetarian, leave out the next step. Take a 1/4 cup (maybe 20 to 25 slices of Hormel's pre-sliced pepperoni) and coarsely chop it up. Add the pepperoni to the cheese mix and place into the fridge.

Part IV - The Eggplant.

Thoroughly wash the eggplant and cut off the stem end. Slice it into thin slices, no more than 1/4 inch thick. Dip the eggplant slices into the eggwash, coating it on both sides. Place the slices of eggplant into the flour mix and apply well to both sides of each piece. Throw away the unused eggwash mix.

In a deep frying pan, heat oil (I prefer Extra Virgin Olive Oil mixed with safflower oil) to frying temperature. The oil should be hot, but don't let it get too hot or your eggplant will burn. Fry the slices of the flour-mix coated eggplant until browned on both sides. After frying, place the slices on paper towel to drain excess oil. Take a large casserole dish and spray with your favorite no-stick spray. Place the fried pieces of eggplant into the casserole dish in layers. As you place the cooked slices into layers, dot with the ricotta cheese mix and spaghetti sauce. On top of the cheese and sauce sprinkle shredded mozzarella cheese. Add another layer until your dish is full. Continue the process of frying and layering the eggplant into your casserole dish.

Cover the casserole with foil and bake for 20 minutes at 350 F. Uncover the dish and bake for another 10 minutes until the cheese on top is melted and starting to brown.

Thank you Aunt Connie for all the love and lessons learned in your kitchen!