Date:
Thu, 26 Nov 1998 12:24:05 -0800

Hello fellow listmates,
 Thank you to those who responded to my question re: Did I really hear
that celiacs were taken off the blood donor list and why? I only heard
from Canada and the U.S. In summary it seems we are taken off the donor
list in Canada....quote

> I am not sure what the status in USA is but here in Canada we were
> informed from the national Canadian Celiac Association as follows:
>
> People with Celiac Disease or any auto immune GI type disorder such as
> ulcerative colitis are unable to donate blood even though they have a
> good hemoglobin level. Whether the disease is chronic, reactive or in
> remission, they have the following physiological problems that may
> affect recipients:
> 1. Their plasma may contain auto antibodies and when transfused to
> infants, this might cause problems with platelets and red cells.
> 2. Patients with immunological disorders usually have problems with
> white cells, T cells and B cells. When transfused to recipient these may
> survive in the recipient and may cause problems if he/she is
> immunosuppressed.
> 3. There is always the chance that these patients have what we call
> bacteremia due to chronic disorders of the mucosa in the intestine.
> These bacteria will then be transfused into a recipient and cause
> problems for the recipient.
>
> This info was given to CCA by Dr. A. Guilivi, MD, FRCPC of the Red
> Cross.

 In the U.S here is a quote:

I work for the American Red Cross, and Celiacs are accepted as donors.  The
only reason for defering would be low hemoglobin.

   I did find alot of confusion about the Candian rules. It must be
fairly new. I personally feel the reasons given show a great
imagination. I know for a fact that after being on a gf diet for a year
my antibodies are normal. Oh well. Any thoughts on the matter please
feel free to email me. Thanks again to those that responded.
Dianne in B.C.