From:
Latimer Kells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Nov 2000 13:21:14 -0500

Many, many thanks to the 26 folks who responded to my recent request for
info on resuming exercise after diagnosis.  You are truly inspirational.
If there was one overriding message it was that it CAN be done, but one
needs to 1) start small 2) go slowly 3) listen to your body.  I was very
impressed with how some people started with the most minimal degree of
exercise and have worked up to impressive workouts.

Types of exercises that were recommended included: running, walking, water
exercises, treadmill, Nordic-Trak, cross country, stationary bike, yoga,
Pilates.  Emphasis was placed on weight-bearing exercises to help with
osteopenia.  Also, Active Isolated Stretching: "only hold a stretch for 2
seconds, then go back to neutral position and begin again."  One poster
suggested that an evaluation and treatment by a good chiropractor would be
very helpful. Someone suggested Bryan Kest's power yoga, saying that
exercise improves energy, outlook, confidence, sex drive and strength.

One poster who nearly died from long-standing undiagnosed CD at 52 years of
age recovered enough to return to being a ski instructor.  At 67 he is
looking forward to teaching skiing this year.

Another poster has run two marathons and qualified for the Boston marathon.

A former couch potato who went GF in her 40's is healthier than ever at
60+.  She has walked to the top of several of the Rocky Mountains carrying
a backpack.  To train, she walked around the house with a backpack into
which she put increasing increments of weight, up to 30 pounds!

One poster said:  "I think I've read that physical exercise is necessary
for celiacs because we tend to store seratonin in our intestines, and
exercise releases it -- which, amoung other things, is a good
antidepressant."

Another big point that many people made was that it takes a while for the
body to heal from CD and muscle weakness.  You've gotta have patience, be
good to yourself, and make the time.  From all accounts, it's worth the
effort.  Thanks again to everyone who shared their experience and their
time to respond.  I plan to go out for a brisk walk this afternoon in your
honor!

Latimer
New York City
GF/starch free for 5 months