From:
Beth Hillson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Beth Hillson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jan 2008 21:28:43 -0500

Dear ListServ Subscribers,

Since our organization was launched in 2003, many individuals have written
to express their gratitude for our work and asked about making donations.  I
am pleased to announce that last fall, the IRS approved the AMERICAN CELIAC
DISEASE ALLIANCE's application for 501 (C) (3) status.  All contributions
made to the ACDA after March 2007 are tax deductible.

For those of you who are not aware of our work, the ACDA is dedicated to
improving the lives of those with celiac disease through programs of
advocacy, awareness, education, and research.  Issues affecting those with
celiac disease have many facets and require insight from multiple
viewpoints.  The nation's leading celiac research centers, physicians,
patient support organizations, food manufacturers, and others businesses
formed the alliance to take on these issues -- together.  Our group's first
effort resulted in the passage of the Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer
Protection Act (FALCPA) requiring that all food manufacturers list "wheat"
if it is present in a product.  That law also required the FDA to have a
standard for GF foods in place by the end of this year.  Our members have
been working with the FDA to meet that goal.

Many of us are concerned about the lack of awareness about the GF diet.  The
ACDA is seeking to improve awareness about the gluten-free diet and is
working with food service staff to modify menus in secondary schools,
universities and colleges, hospitals and nursing homes.

We are continuing our efforts to improve insurance reimbursement for
dietitian visits and training for dietitians who see celiac patients.

Another ongoing project involves educating members of Congress about CD.
This is key to increased funding for the NIH and for programs to benefits
those with CD.  You can add your voice of support by going to:
www.capwiz.com/celiac

Please keep the ACDA in mind when you wish to make a contribution to honor
or remember an event or person.  Although our membership is comprised of all
the decision-making organizations in the celiac community, our members
volunteer their time to make a difference. Therefore, your donations go
directly to support our programs on behalf of all people with celiac
disease.

To learn more about the ACDA visit our web site at www.americanceliac.org

Beth Hillson
President, American Celiac Disease Alliance

*******
*******