Date:
Wed, 30 Oct 1996 19:21:18 -0700

Hi [log in to unmask],

I was concerned by your post. Unfortunately, the only references I can
offer are in Polish and German.

The Polish one is:
Kozlowska, Z.E. "Results of Investigation on Children with Coeliakia
Treated many Years with Gluthen Free Diet" _Psychiatria Polska_ 1991;
25(2): 130-134.

The German one is:
Paul, et. al. "EEG-befunde Zoeliaki-kranken Kindernin Abhaengigkeit von
der Ernaehrung" _Zeitschrift der Klinische Medizin_ 1985; 40: 707-709

The first indicates that 71% of celiac children, when newly diagnosed,
demonstrate EEG abnormalities. Now please note this caution:
I HAVE NO TRAINING IN THE INTERPRETATION OF EEG READINGS.

Nonetheless, when I compare the author's descriptions of the EEG
abnormalities in celiac children, and the abnormalities in children who
have been diagnosed with ADD or ADHD, there are some startling
similarities.

Paul, et. al. are paraphrased by Reichelt et. al. in "THE EFFECT OF
GLUTEN-FREE DIET ON GLYCOPROTEIN ATTACHED URINARY PEPTIDE EXCRETION"
_Journal of Orthomolecular Medicine_ 1990; 5: 223-239.

They say: "In coeliac children provocation with gluten after diet causes
alarmingly high frequency of EEG changes that persist up to a year (Paul
et al 1985)"

I would urge you to be very careful to avoid contamination in your
daughter's diet, and I would ask you to consider some alternatives to
stimulant therapy (Ritalin is a brand name of the most commonly used
stimulant.)

The concept of drugging a child to facilitate learning is upsetting to
me, especially when there is cause to suspect that, on the g-f diet, she
may improve without intervention. I know that she is falling behind now,
but if her experience is similar to mine, many of my ADD type symptoms
did go away during the first year. I will also forward a part of report
that was forwarded to me, that showed that vitamin B-6 supplementation
was as beneficial to a group of children with attention deficits, as
Ritalin was. Especially in celiac disease, where vitamin deficiencies are
so common, that seems a viable alternative.

I am posting to the whole list, because others may  have similar concers
about their children.

I hope this is helpful.
 Best Wishes,
Ron Hoggan