From:
Greta deWolf <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Greta deWolf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 2006 13:23:45 -0400

Thanks to all those who replied to my message.   Here is the results of comments from others and research I have done.  I hope it helps others.

PART I

GLUTEN FREE READY MEALS

By Greta de Wolf

We had a request from a Dietitian, Sparrow Hospital for ready made meals. She is working with an 83 year old woman who has been dependent on Meals on Wheels.

So I have researched the topic and here is my list. There are probably others out there but this is what I have. If you have others, please let me know.

One of our members suggested finding someone who will come in and cook. They have someone but that person is not able to take others.

Our dietitian advisor, Dr. Mary Noel is adamant about the fact that MEALS on WHEELS cannot deny service as they fix meals for other persons with food restrictions. Does anyone want to work with them? I am sending them a package including a copy of the article from Lifeline, "Can a Person with Celiac disease eat safely in a hospital" by Mark Dinga. I am sending this to all hospital dietitians as well.

Our Local Source of Gluten Free Baked Goods

A Piece o Cake (A Piece O'Cake is located at 4966 Northwind Dr East Lansing MI 48823 516 333 6881)

Pizza

GF Bread, rolls, etc, that could be easily combined with scrambled eggs, salad, or other items.

COMMERCIAL PRODUCTS

AS ALWAYS CHECK LABELS AS INGREDIENTS DO CHANGE

These are the regular commercial products and are not made in gluten free sites.

BREAKFAST FOODS-many of these are available locally in regular grocery stores or in health food stores

Many of Nature Paths.

Alti Plano Gold Quinoa Instant Hot Cereal-various flavors

Ener-G Toasted Granola and Trail Mix

Organ Granola

Many of Environkidz Cereals and Breakfast Bars

Cream of rice

Can use Minute Rice

Meijer's Brown Minute Rice

VAN's Gluten Free Waffles

There are many pancake mixes-too many to mention. Most are very easy to prepare.

CAMPBELLS

Chunky Soup Chicken Broccoli Cheese

Select Soup Savory Lentil

HORMELS

Dinty Moore Beef or Chicken Stew

Dinty Moore Microwave meals Scalloped Potatoes & Ham, Beef Stew Rice with Chicken

Hormel Microwave Bean & Ham Soup

Hormel Microwave Herb Roasted Rice Cups

Hormel Microwave 10 oz. trays: Sweet & Sour rice, Chicken & Rice, SW Style Black Beans & Rice

Hormel SW Shredded Beef, SW Pork Carnitas

Hormel Microwave Cups: Southwest Style rice, Fiesta Rice & Chicken

Hormel Chili with Beans: Regular, chunky, Hot (Watch out here, some contain wheat)

COOKED MEAT from Hormels:

Black label canned hams

Beef Roast Au Jus, Pork roast Au Jus, glazed ham with Maple & Brown Sugar

Ham Patties

Little Sizzler Sausage Links and patties

Wranglers Franks

Chunk Meats: Breast of chicken, Chicken, Ham, Turkey

Corned Beef

Corned Beef Hash

Dried Beef