From:
Aviva (Lisa) Mandl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2001 23:28:59 -0500

I spoke with a representative at Diana's Bananas in Chicago to find out
the gluten status of their Banana Babies dark chocolate hand-dipped
bananas.  The packaging says dairy-free.  The woman said that the
bananas are gluten-free.  She even pulled out a paper while we were
talking on which was a statement from the chocolate company that states
there's a trace of peanut, but no gluten in the chocolate.

I then asked about the dairy-free status as well since there is a Kosher
symbol that shows the product as being dairy (a cRc in a triangle, which
stands for the Chicago Rabbinical Council, with a capital "D" besides it
stands for dairy).  She said there aren't any dairy ingredients in it
but the Chicago Rabbinical Council deemed it as dairy.  She added that
the milk chocolate bananas were also made at that plant and those are
dairy.  I asked if the two types were made on different equipment and
when she said no, I told her that's why both would be considered dairy
by the CRC.  So no to dairy ingredient-wise on the dark chocolate
bananas, but it's made on the same equipment as the dairy bananas.

I have no financial interest in Diana's Bananas, I just like chocolate
covered bananas. :-) Aviva (Chicago area)