From:
Doug and Robin Schantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 09:33:41 -0500

Hi everyone!

First of all, thank you everyone for responding to my post.  I've been
searching for a good GF pasta that doesn't fall apart or turn into
wallpaper paste when cooked and many of you emailed me with your votes
for the best GF pastas.  In fact, I got 86 responses as of 1-20-99.  I
also got some helpful info that you might want to try:

1.  First of all, it seems to be the general consensus, that GF pasta
should not be overcooked, as it will, with any brand, turn into mush.

2.  A few people suggested that cooking the pasta with the sauce lessens
its mushiness.

3.  I had one response that said that simmering is very important.

4.  A few people also suggested rinsing the pasta when it was done
cooking.

5.  As far as leftovers are concerned, a few people said that they're
just awful and had no suggestions for keeping it once it's cooked
(sorry).

6.  Most people said that the brown rice pasta was better than the white
rice pasta.

7.  For a general cooking rule, try:  boiling water, add pasta, cover
and boil again, turn off heat and set until al dente about 5 minutes.

So, if any of you who emailed me with a vote are wondering who the big
winner was...drumroll please...it was as follows:

#1  Pastariso
I had 23 votes for Pastariso rice pasta.  It is available through Ms.
Roben's (800-891-0083), Gluten Free Pantry, health food stores, and
through a company in Canada called Gluten Free Bounty (7305 Woodbine
Ave. Suite 268, Markham, Ontario, L3R 3V7, Canada  905-513-1126).

#2  Tinkyada
I had never heard of this brand, but it got 18 very enthusiastic votes.
This is the only brand that people really seemed to rave about.  Many
people said that their non-celiac friends could not tell the difference
between Tinkyada and wheat pasta.  It is made by Food Directions, Inc.
150 Milner Ave. Units 21-23 Searborough, Ontario M1S 3R3.  They also
have a website at www.tinkyada.com and I'm told this pasta can be found
through the GF Pantry and Whole Foods.

#3  Ener-G
I'm told that the brown rice pasta is better than the white, but Ener-g
pulled in 8 votes.  It is available through Whole Foods, and mail order
through Ener-G at 1-800-331-5222, or you can contact them on the web at
www.ener-g.com.

#4 Bi-Aglut
I hadn't heard of this one either, but it got 7 votes.  It is available
through Dietary Specialties (sorry, I don't have a phone or website for
them).

#5  Quinoa
I got a few votes for Quinoa pasta (in general) and the only brand name
mentioned was Ancient Harvest.  Quinoa got 6 votes.

#6  It's a tie:  Aproten and Mrs. Leeper's Corn Pasta
Each of these pastas got 5 votes.  Aproten is available through Dietary
Specialties and Energy Foods, but I'm told it is expensive (what GF food
isn't, really?)  I didn't get an address or phone for Mrs. Leeper's
either, but someone mentioned that s/he gets it in New Hampshire (USA).

#7  DeBoles
This is available through Whole Foods, Walnut Acres (www.walnutacres.com
or 1-800-433-3998).  DeBoles got 4 votes.

#8  Idaho Supreme Pastato Potato Pasta
Sounds like a mouthful to say, but this new pasta got 3 votes.  It is
made from potatoes, rice, and lethicin (soy).  Their internet address is

#9  DeRoma
This got 2 votes, but that's all the info I've got.

#10  Six different brands, in no particular order (each got 1 vote a
piece)
Papadini Lentil Bean Pasta: available through Adrienne's Gourmet Foods
800-937-7010.
Annie Chun's Thai Basil and Spicy Hunan Rice Noodles (no other info)
Glutino:  mail order in Canada  (no other info)
Gabriele Polenta Pasta:  red pepper and garlic (no other info)
Orgran:  from Australia, also available in Sweden and is imported into
the US by Cemac Foods Corp., Philadelphia, PA  19124
Westbrae Corn Spaghetti:  available through Whole Foods and Fresh Fields

I also got the following address for a company that sells 25 brands of
GF pasta:  [log in to unmask] (1-800-737-7976).

The only pastas that received a "bad" vote were Ener-g (3 bad votes),
DeBoles (2 bad votes), and Bi-Aglut (1 bad vote--for the penne only).

Well, that's about it.  Good luck everyone and enjoy your pasta.  If
anyone knows of any other brands worth mentioning, please post them to
the list and reference this post so people can get all the pasta info
together.

Robin in Michigan (USA)