From:
Tracy Polyak <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tracy Polyak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Jul 2014 13:57:26 -0500

Most people agreed that it is a good idea to avoid nuts in bulk or repackaged from bulk.  This seems like a good idea to me for a newly diagnosed celiac who is still healing.
It seems the only place to get certified GF nuts is http://www.nuts.com/, which also carries GF dried fruits, as well as organic products.  It was suggested to order during the winter months, especially if you live in the south, so that the nuts won't get rancid en route.
No one was aware of any other GF certified nuts.  Some people said they can eat Planters nuts.  I found this statement on the Kraft site: "We take this claim seriously and for such products, we are assured there is no unintentional contact with gluten during every step of the agricultural growing, transportation and manufacturing process. You might notice that some Kraft Foods products may have ingredient statements that do not list a source of gluten, but without the extremely specialized procedures in place to diligently validate gluten purity, we do not label the finished product as gluten free."  In other words, they will be honest about the ingredients, but not about the potential for cross-contamination.  Kraft makes so many products that I don't think I would trust Planters not to have cross-contamination.
Diamond nuts have some products that contain gluten, but they say that "Diamond adheres to superior Good Food Manufacturing Practices, and all processing lines are thoroughly cleaned between packaging runs of the different Emerald products which greatly lessen the chance that any of our non-gluten products come into contact with gluten products."  I am having to get rid of much of my kitchen equipment, because I cannot trust that cleaning them will sufficiently remove the gluten.  So Diamond is out for me, too.
Tracy