From:
CJ Green <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 18 Apr 2012 00:07:50 -0400

Hello  Listmates
I truly appreciate the detailed and  thoughtful responses I received to my
request for firsthand guidance on managing  the college search process for
celiacs.  I have summarized the responses  below and hope they will be
helpful to those who requested a summary.  If  you prefer to read the full
The majority of respondents  agreed that the ability of the school to
accommodate gluten free students should  be considered during the college search
phase.  Some made this a strong  factor in their college decisions, while
others did not.
To Do once  prospective schools have been  identified
Call or email school  dietician and/or food service director to see if they
can accommodate gluten  free diets
Research if the school has a gluten  free support group on campus or a
campus gluten free facebook group
Research if the college town has  restaurants/bakeries/markets that
accommodate gluten free dining
To Do when visiting  schools
Leave time to visit and eat in on  campus cafeterias (try not to visit at
peak times so you can speak with food  service manager or director)
Ask about how they accommodate special diets like gluten  free
Look for food service areas labeled gluten free
Do they have separate gluten free toasters
Set up an appointment with the school  dietician or set up an appointment
with the kitchen manager (sometimes the  kitchen managers can provide the
best information)
Visit  the college town  restaurants/bakeries/markets that accommodate
gluten free dining
To Do once you have  committed to a school
Register with disability  services
This may allow you access to special housing with kitchens if  needed
This may allow you excuses for missed  classes or exams due to a gluten
reaction
When you  attend orientation meet with nutritionist or executive chef of
food service  manager/director
Colleges mentioned by respondents as being gluten  friendly
UC Davis  - posts the next's days gluten free dish every  night (post
includes ingredients)
Penn State, University of Wisconsin (Madison), Skidmore,  Vassar, Eton,
University of Connecticut, Princeton, Lehigh, Villanova and  University of
Michigan
Consider looking at colleges in cities that have a celiac  center
Web sites recommended
_www.CeliacCentral.org/college_ (http://www.celiaccentral.org/college)
(Their new digital publication GreatU is  wonderful)
http://www.bestcollegesonline.com/blog/2012/01/10/14-colleges-that-cater-to-
gluten-free-students/
_http://www.celiaccentral.org/college/gluten-free-in-college-blog-series/_
(http://www.celiaccentral.org/college/gluten-free-in-college-blog-series/)