Date:
Sat, 23 Dec 1995 12:38:45 -0500

Cliff Kothcka <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

N>What this means unfortunately is that whenever you are invited somewhere,
N>you will have to bring your own food.  This is socially difficult some
N>times
N>but quite necessary.  Even when people try to accommodate you, they will
N>make mistakes because there are just too many things to watch. Knowing
N>that,
N>I have always felt that it wasn't fair of me to make them  responsible for
N>my health.

Cliff: As if you could make them responsible!

I am packing my supper to go to a Christmas Eve shindig. My husband
wants to go and won't go without me. These friends believe in the "Power
of Will' and "Mind over Matter". I allowed them to poison me twice,
while I had their assurance that mystery foods contained no gliadin
from gluten. The hostess even tried, on invitation, to conjure a
recollection on my part of how I "loved" her garlic bread. Never
happened!

I will be labelled "neurotic" when I look healthier than any of them.
Guess it's good for my soul to withstand "the slings and arrows of
outrageous fortune". I still think Celiacs are going to have to stand up
and confront the FDA, The Restaurant Associations, M.D.'s and R.D.'s.
Maybe we should tackle friends and acquaintances first? Nah!! Ain't worth
the trouble!

I no longer cook or handle any food I cannot eat! Best Holiday Wishes!
AMS