From:
Walt and Carolyn Reardon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Oct 2001 18:34:22 -0500

Thank you to all the wonderful people who responded to me.  There were a
number who wanted to see the summary so here it is.

First off I saw my doctor today and the multiple biopsies that he took came
back normal.  Was I ever thrilled.  I asked why he had told us after the
procedure that it still looked like I my intestine wasn't healed.  He said
that it was a "pale pink instead of the darker pink".  He said that is also
why he took so many biopsies.  He said not to worry about the pale color, it
will eventually catch up as I follow the diet.

Along with the diet I was also taking a probiotic as some of you suggested
that I do.  Also it was suggested that I take L-Glutamine.  I had just
started that a few weeks ago, but I am not very consistent with it.
Needless to say I plan to take it like I should so I can continue to heal.
The nausea appears to be from gastritis and reflux according to the doctor
and he has told me to take the new Nexium, which I have already verified is
gluten free.  I have not done well on these types of pills before so we
shall see if it will work.

Now onto the summary:

I received several comments that milk, lactose, soy, corn, eggs, lemons and
some other allergens can cause blunted villi, and MSG can cause a lot of
pain.  Also several people wanted to know if I am I being sure I am not
getting contamination, ie  vinegars, make-up,etc.

One said "Casein is the most likely culprit because when it breaks down
it turns into a molecular form that resembles gluten."

One said "bacteria may be the problem, cow's milk allergy, gastroenteritis,
giardia, soy protein allergy."

One said "Have you worked on healing the leaky gut...if you just do it
with diet, can take 3 to 5 years...can speed it up considerably [took me
less than 6 months].....take with each meal  1 capsule of the amino acid
L-glutamine 500mg and 1 Probiotics complex...a super-strain, very potent
form of acidophilus.  sorry, reg yogurt won't do.  This stuff really
works...formula was given to me by my nutritionist and my
allergist...felt better in days and within six months was no longer ill."

One person who has been on TPN for 15 years was very kind to say that she
would help with specifics when I need that route.

Crohn's disease was also mentioned, but I don't fit that profile and had a
colonoscopy that was fine.

Dr Murray at the Mayo clinic was also mentioned as a place to go it I
couldn't get adequate help from my doctor.

Following are some sites that I was directed to along with Dr Fine's
site which I can't find the address to presently(sorry):

http://arthritis.about.com/library/weekly/aa111897.html
http://www.enabling.org/ia/celiac/faq.html
http://www.muschealth.com/ddc/organ/smalb.html
http://members.iinet.net.au/~mykm/cell_bas.html
http://www.sensiblehealth.com      doesn't have
   anything to do with villi but it talks about a congested liver and
   gallbladder.
http://www.celiac.com

One person sent me the following that was originally from Abilgail Newman.
Title:  Coeliac Disease
Authors: W T Cooke and G K Holmes
Publisher:  Churchill Livingstone, Medical Division of Longman Group Limited
(published in 1984)
If someone on a gluten free diet for celiac disease continues to have
flatten villi after a long period of treatment, these other causes should be
considered as possible additional causes for flattened villi.
The following are listed as causes of flat small intestinal biopsies:
(Although *some* of these rarely cause flat villi and are usually found in
conjunction with Coeliac Disease or Immunodeciencies according to the book.)
Coeliac Disease
Cow's Milk Protein Intolerance
Soy Protein Intolerance
Refractory Sprue