From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jul 1995 08:17:19 EDT

Juan Antonio Marin Beltran wrote:

> My little daughter (15 Months old) have been pre-diagnosed with CD.
> Here in Spain is a little information about it. I want to know
> about 2 facts:
>
> 1.- How long take the abdominal distension to disappear when a
>     person begins a GF diet?

I don't know in general how long it takes.  All I can talk with
confidence about is how our daughter reacted.

Our daughter was diagnosed with CD at age 4, after 2 years without
growing.  She was hollowed-eyed, lethargic, thin-limbed, and had a
badly distended belly.  In other words, she was very malnourished.

We have a picture of her three months after she began the GF diet.
In that picture, her stomach is flat and her face, arms, and legs
were chubby.

I don't know if your daughter will recover that quickly, but I sure
do wish you all the best.

> 2.- When the villi is Ok with a GF diet, which is the impact of
>     a little contamination of gluten in the villi? (like the
>     gluten present in the oil of fried bread).

There is considerable disagreement about this issue, both among the
professionals, celiac support groups, and individuals on this list.
Some people feel that a little bit of gluten is acceptable.  Others,
including me, feel that you should always strive for no gluten in
the diet, and avoid any questionable food.  You could look through
the archive files and read the previous discussions on this topic.

> 3.- Can anyone tell me about famous persons with CD?

Johnny Pesky, a former Boston Red Sox baseball player, is a celiac.
The *Providence Journal-Bulletin* carried an article on his adptation
to the diet after the 1982 World Series.  (This comes from *The
Celiac ActionLine*, Vol. IV, No. 1, January 1994, pg. 3.)

Chi Chi Rodriquez was diagnosed as a celiac during his childhood.
Judging from his success as a professional golfer, it appears that
he is fine example of a celiac handling the challenges of the diet
while excelling in his chosen profession.  (This comes from *The
Celiac ActionLine*, Vol. III, No. 1, January 1993, pg. 3.)

> My wife is very depressed about my child. I think that information
> can help her with it.

I strongly recommend that you get a copy of the FAQ (Frequently
Asked Questions) file, and get a list of the other files available
from the CELIAC E-mail list.  To do this, send a message to
[log in to unmask] containing these two lines:

   GET CELIAC FAQ
   INDEX CELIAC

DON'T send this message to the CELIAC address!

I hope this helps.  Good luck with your daughter.

--- Jim Lyles, [log in to unmask] ---
--------- Holly, Michigan, USA --------