From:
Talia Master <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Talia Master <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Jul 2006 03:14:41 -0400

Thanks again for everyone's help- I really appreciate it.  Most people said that they brought a dining card and most restaurants were able to accomodate them.  The information I received is below...
___________________

You can find good selections of prepackaged gluten-free foods in regular Monoprix supermarkets and La Vie Claire health food stores.  Both have many locations throughout Paris.

Le Reminet - near Notre Dame is the only place I know of that knows a lot about Celiac as the Chef's wife has it. But on my recent visit there I did not get sick once and we ate out every meal for six days. The most boring meal each day was b'fast - eggs, cheese/gf crackers and fruit. For lunch/dinner I used large laminated French gf dining cards from www.glutenfreetravel.com. Well they worked like a charm.

For shopping I was told to try Monopix but even the large location I found had nothing gluten free. But there was a health food store across from our hotel and they had several gf items. I ended up bringing back tons of the food I'd packed for the trip. Ask your hotel where the closest health food store is. Oh and if you see Dr. Schar pasta (and can eat corn and soy) get some and take it home. It's wonderful and from Italy! I now mail order it but it's twice the price here as in Europe. Have a lovely trip!

It was comical trying to eat lunch at a McDonalds in Paris.  The people at McDonalds would NOT order a cheeseburger for mewithout a bun and adding lettuce and tomato.  Since it was not in the register, they were not going to order it for me.  After begging and pleading for about 5 minutes, I finally got a plain burger with cheese on it on a piece of paper.  I tried putting it between crackers with my own packets of mayonnaise and ketchup.  It was awful!  I couldn't eat it.  I fed it to the pigeons as we ate at the tables outside the McDonalds (which got the McDonalds people mad :) )  I then munched on some french fries and then ate some of my own peanut butter and crackers.  The lesson here is always to go prepared with food in your purse!

my number #1 recommendation:  Le Reminet (3 rue des Grands-Degres; tel 01 44 07 04 25) closed Mon, Tues, book in advance or arrive shortly after the 7:30 opening.  The restaurant is run by Anna (who has CD and speaks English very well) and her husband the chef. We ate here twice. Near Notre Dame.

Chez Jaafar Restaurant, 22 rue du Sommerard, 0146339540.  A Tunisian restaurant that is very small and reasonably priced.  Most of the menu focused on couscous (which we can't eat)  but I had a lamb turine that was divine.  Near the Luxembourg Gardens.

Chez Marianne, 2 rue des Hospitalieres Saint Gervais. Mid-eastern food. A few minutes southwest of the Picasso Museum.

Page 35.  4 Rue du Parc Royale, 75004.  I had a splendid lunch in this small cafe - the Antiboise salad (freshly cooked white fish on top of a beautiful salad). Very close to the Picasso Museum.

Saint Germain des Pres (06 and 07).Yugaraj. 14 Rue Dauphone, 75006.  This is considered by many to be the best Indian restaurant in Paris, and was our most expensive dinner 90 euros without wine!).  Amazingly delicious and without question the best Indian food I have ever had in my life.  Near the Louvre.

A La Petite Chiase, 36 rue de Grenelle (restarant was founded in 1680!). I had a warm leek salad and cod on rice.Guisarde Street, just north of St. Sulpice church. This short street has over 10 different restaurants, most of which have English menus. There were a lot of Americans dining in this area.  We ate at La Bastide d'Opio, 9 rue Guissard.  The chef made me a special white fish dish on top of grilled vegetables (with a salad). =20

Stores that offer GF packaged foods:

La Vie Claire - chain stores found throughout Paris

Monoprix - chain stores found throughout Paris

Naturalia (I found one in the Marais District, and one in Montmartre on

rue Lepc across from a house that van Gogh lived in for one year

Rendez-vous de la Nature - health food store at 96 rue Mouffetart in
the 5th. tel 01 43 36 59 34

One other grocery store recommendation:

The Bon Marche department store near the Babylon metro stop (at Rue de Sevres and Rue du Bac) has its own food store across the street.  It's the only time I saw a grocery store in Paris that looked like Whole Foods.  They did *not* have gluten free bread products, but we did a
lot of our picnic shopping here.  We bought Sushi, GF chocolate bars, ham, whole grain French bread (for my diabetic partner), fruits and vegetables.

Biotic/Specialty Retailers

o Rendez-vous de la Nature, 96, rue Mouffetard. 75005, tél : 01 43 36 59 34, métro : Censier Daubenton

o La Vie Claire --

§         25, rue de l'Annonciation, 75016

§         20, rue de l'Eglise, 75015

§         42, boulevard du Temple, 75011

§         255, boulevard Voltaire, 75011

§         11, avenue Laumière, 75019

§         13 bis, avenue du Père Lachaise, 75020

§         85, boulevard Haussman, 75008

§         76-80, rue Saint Honoré, 75001

o Naturalia (www.naturalia.fr)

§         44, avenue d'Italie, 01 45 65 15 22 (13ème)

§         36, rue Monge, 01 43 29 90 60 (5e)

§         413 rue Brézin, 01 45 43 54 98 (14ème)

§         38 avenue de la Motte Picquet (7e) (EIFFEL TOWER)

o Monoprix - (NOT SURE IF HAVE MUCH GF)

§         83 av d'Italia (13ème)

§         54 Bd de l'Hôpital (13ème)

§         42 rue Daviel (13ème)

Restaurants

o Le Reminet (3 rue des Grands-Degrés; tel 01 44 07 04 25 - ?or 24?) closed Mon & Tues. Near Notre Dame. Book in advance or arrive shortly after the 7:30 opening.  Run by Anna (who has CD and speaks English) and her husband the chef.

Treats & Desserts

o Toraya à Paris, 10, Rue St-Florentin, 75001, Tél : 01 42 60 13 00 Métro : Concorde (ligne 1, 8, 12) ou Madeleine (ligne 8, 12, 14)

*******
*******