From:
Isabella Porter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Isabella Porter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jun 2005 13:36:21 -0700

Thanks to all of you who responded. These are the suggestions I have
gotten so far. I hope this helps all celiacs traveling to NYC and LA
this summer!

Be well,

Isabella, Central Coast Celiacs

_______________________

Hi!  Last week I went to New Jersey on business and one night we took
the train to NY.  I was so excited to go to Little Italy for dinner
(thinking they would all be celiac friendly) and I was actually kicked
out of the restaurant for the first time since diagnosis because they
refused to do provide anything other than what was on the menu (no
alterations at all!).  So tell to not go to Di Napoli (there was more to
the name but I remember that name).  I was with a great group of
understanding people so we left and went to "Grotta Azzurra" and they
exceeded my expectations (although at that point I was crushed).  GA is
a little pricey (5 star) but they were wonderful on service and taste!
Actually, they topped my celiac eating out experiences!!

You also should check with the West Chester Support Group
(www.westchesterceliacs.org) cause they are very close to NYC and will
probably have lots of information!!

Best Regards, Janet
---------------------

I just found a recent posting on NYC restaurants:

Sambuca
20 West 72 street
Phone number (212) 787-5656

This is near Lincoln Center (where among other things the Metropolitan
Opera is). It is Southern Italian and has a GF menu including pasta.

------------------------
Try going to www.goodhealthpublishing.com for a list of 70+
national/regional restaurants and their lists of gluten/wheat free
items. There's also a gluten free dining card that can be presented to
restaurant personnel to ease the ordering process.

Give it a look and enjoy your trip. Jeff

----------------------

Please tell your Italian friens to click on to
www.glutenfreerestaurants.org
for suggestions of places to eat in NYC which have a glutenfree menu.
If
they have children I especially suggest two family places with GF
menus...Peter's on 1st avenue and 83th which has Greek and simple
American
food...glutenfree beer...GF french fries breakfast, lunch and
dinner...that's a good place to eat when they are going to upper east
side
art museums.  In the west village on Bleeker and Morton is The
Risottoria
with good pizza...desserts as well as risotto.  On the upper west side
is
Sambuca..a good southern Italian GF family menu.  Any good health food
store
or Whole Foods will have GF groceries. In the restaurants they do need
ask in english for GF menus.  The website will show many more.  Tamsin

---------------------------------

Check out www.celiacchicks.com for information about restaurants in NYC.

-----------------------------------

They will be many miles from Disneyland.  It's in Orange County, about
60 miles from their hotels.  I think they may wish to consider renting a
car, or looking into Amtrak.  Perhaps they wish to stay overnight at
Disneyland.

Vi Orloff
CDF

-----------------------------------

There are many child friendly gluten-free restaurants in NYC. Chech the
gluten free restaurant awareness site for the exact restaurants and
locations. I highly recommend the following - my 8 yr old loves the
gluten-free food at: 1. Sambuca -- italian restaurant (pasta dishes) 2.
Peter's Diner (anything - including chicken fingers and mozzarella
sticks) 3. Risotteria (risotto and pizza) 4. Outback Steakhouse

Also, there are 3 Whole Foods in NYC where they can buy many gluten free
products. The closest one to their hotel is 59th Street at Columbus
Circle. The Concierge will know how to get them there.

-------------------------------

There are two Whole Foods in the City--one is in Union Square (East
14th-E 18th Street) and they can get lots of GF goodies there. Tell them
about the GF whole foods baked goods. I can't recall where the other one
is. Their kid may be happy eating a GF muffin, scone, coffee cake from
Whole Foods for breakfast--taking care of that one meal at least.

Remind them to bring a card about the disease in English. New York is a
haven for us Celiacs. The place they "must" go is Risottoaria on Bleeker
st, in Greenwich Village, this is the Italian section of the village and
they will probably meet people who live there and speak Italian, at
least among the elderly. All the GF food is marked GF. They have GF
Pizza and of course risotto, and cookies. All just wonderful. There are
other GF restaurants listed in the archives. But, I bet other New
Yorkers will send them to you. More and more restaurants including
Italian ones are GF now in the City.

Helen