From:
Rita Malkin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rita Malkin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Jan 2012 16:06:53 -0800

Dear List Members:

Because I've always enjoyed their jams and preserves, I bought "St. Dalfour's Gourmet on the Go, Ready to Eat Wild Alaska Salmon." When I saw that the label indicated the product was Gluten Free I was delighted. It was just what I was looking for -- something to bring along when I travel or when I work in my studio.  As suggested on the package, I heated the product thoroughly in the microwave. It was only moderately tasty. However, less than 20 minutes after finishing this product, I suffered a severe intestinal reaction. It's more than 24 hours later and I'm still not fully recovered from the ingestion of gluten.

I was diagnosed with celiac disease nearly 40 years ago. I depend on companies like St. Dalfour to be honest in their labeling and their manufacturing processes. While the list of ingredients seemed harmless enough, I'm wondering whether the manufacturing process is at fault. Is this product produced on the same line as their products that contain gluten, thereby contaminating the ingredients? Do they thoroughly clean the machinery if and when they change product lines? Whatever the reason, I'll never trust St. Dalfour's products again.  I'm still awaiting a response from St. Dalfour. The product is manufactured in, and imported from, France.

 Rita Malkin, Leader
The Gourmet Celiac Group