From:
Sidona Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sidona Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Aug 2003 15:45:44 -0700

You may not be surprised that I didn't get any responses for Wausau, WI.  A web-site was referred to look up support groups in the Wisconsin area.  I did that and none of them were in Wausau. Here's that web-site.

There is a list of support groups at

http://www.celiac.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_prod.html?p_prodid=310&p_catid=35&sid=91hH9H0m8Ccw3Pb-58103022549.54

However, I want to pass on that I believe that Wisconsin is a lot more celiac savvy than southern Calif.  It just seems to me there's more predominance there.  When I start talking about gluten, they say, Oh, Celiac!!, like they know what that is.   I don't get that much here.  The regular grocery stores (at least the ones I went to) carry a nice line of GF products.  (County Market in Wausau, for one)

The reunion we went to was catered by Lee's Famous Country Chicken.  I had called ahead of time just knowing there was no chance of anything.  They make a baked or broiled (can't remember) chicken that was gf along with the corn and mashed potatoes (w/o gravy)  They were very helpful.  They set aside two baked chicken breasts, put them in a box and marked it with "food allergy" to make sure no one else touched it.

I do want to pass along another tidbit I picked up for a place outside of Minneapolis.  It's a bakery that carries gluten-free breads, muffins, cookies, etc.  I believe they have another bakery make the products on Tuesday and they're brought over then.  Then they freeze them, so if you want them fresh you should call them on Monday about when it would be best to pick them up.  I'm copying in the e-mail below.  I just want to add that we had gf raspberry muffins that were to die for.  It's not far at all from Minneapolis.

"If you have time for a very short detour, take highway 95 north off
of I94 as you are approaching Wisconsin.  (If you cross the St. Croix River
into Wisconsin, you've passed it).  There is a small town called Bayport on
the St. Croix River that has a wonderful bakery, "Bread Art."  The owner has
celiac along with her daughter. They have GF breads, muffins, cookies,
brownies, and cakes.  The address is 110 N. 3rd st, Bayport.  Phone
651-351-1475.

Their Tapioca breads are wonderful (plain, cinnamon/raisin, herb). The
ingredients in the cinnamon raisin bread are: rice flour, tapioca flour,
water, soy milk, free range eggs, sugar, raisins, canola oil, Xanthan gum,
yeast, cinnamon, salt, sugar."

Adios,  Sidona  (Thanks Barbara)