From:
Amy Givens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Nov 2000 12:05:08 -0500

I've been reading this list since August, when I first started thinking celiac
disease might be my problem.  I have tried to be gluten free since August 1st,
but probably not 100% perfectly, since there are some ingredients that I am
still unsure about, such as using vinegar and some corn products that I think
might be no-no's.  Anyway, I am better, but the symptoms are not completely
gone, and I'm reconsidering this self diagnosis.  Before I go back to my doctor,
I thought I would ask the advice of the list so I can steer her in the right
direction for treating me.

I am 42, and for most of my life have NOT had stomach problems.  I could eat
most things and very rarely ever felt like something didn't agree with me.  I
always ate a lot of cereal and pasta.  I was very gassy and constipated for many
years though, which I attributed to stress.  Overall I have been healthy, but
have always had skin trouble: rosacea, and  "cold sores" that sometimes come out
on my face.

This summer at my annual check up I was diagnosed with severe (TSH = 135!)
Hashimoto's hypothyroidism.  There is no history of this in my family, and I
read up on it to try to see if there was any cause I could identify to help cure
myself.  I first found that excessive or prolonged use of soy products could
contribute.  As a vegetarian, I always had used soy for my main protein source.
So I quit eating soy, and also started on thyroid medication.

At the same time (immediately before I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's), I
started to have stomach trouble.  It started with what I thought was mild
diarrhea, which at the time I linked with having eaten dim sum in Chinatown.
But as time went on, the symptoms did not go away.  And it really wasn't
diarrhea, but (sorry for the details...) normal stools surrounded by a clear
mucous-y liquid.  The liquid would make me feel like I had to get to the
bathroom immediately, 15 to 20 times per day.  Often it was just the liquid, no
stools.  There was also a lot of gas.  And at its worst, I felt nauseous
whenever I ate anything.

I don't think I've ever had the classic celiac "fatty, foul-smelling stools", or
even diarrhea.  But when I read an article that talked about the link between
celiac disease and hypothyroidism, and about a mucous reaction in the
intestines, I thought maybe I was on to something.  Do my symptoms sound
familiar to anyone?????

Switching to the celiac diet seemed to really help, but not completely eliminate
the symptoms.  (Cutting down on lactose foods also seemed to help.)  I still
feel queasy often when I eat, and there is always some mucous in my bowel
movements.  I still wonder if it might be some kind of food poisoning that I
got.  I eat sushi sometimes, and I know that can cause problems sometimes.

I would really appreciate the benefit of your collective experience and wisdom.
Thank you in advance.

Amy