From:
Karen D'Andrea <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 12:15:27 EST

I would like to send my grateful thanks to the 30 people who responded to my
query.

In summary, one person said it took 6 mos to 1 year for the fatigue to
resolve, Four said it took a year, two said it took 2 years and one said it
took 5 years. Many said that improvement is gradual, and one person said that
it might never resolve completely.

I was advised to check: medications and diet to be sure they are gf, my B12
and iron levels, my thyroid function, for the possibility of depression as a
cause of fatigue, and for anemia.

I was further advised to consider:
Fatigue might be a response to my body trying to heal itself. Also, that
fatigue might be a response to malnutrition which would resolve as the villi
heal.

Possible remedies suggested were:
Vitamin B12 injections- 3 replies
folic acid pills-3 replies
iron pills or increasing dietary iron intake- 1 response ( although as a
nurse practitioner, I caution people to be careful when self prescribing iron
suppliments, as they have be shown to lead to heart disease).
Megavitamin therapy- 2 reponses
Vitamin B suppliments- 5 responses
Cod Liver Oil (vit A and D)- 1 response
Calcium and Magnesium with Vit. D- 1 response
DHEA 5 mg. per day- ( one MD suggested this as a treatment for possible
"adrenal exhaustion".

That's about it. Now I have to go take a nap to recover from all this hard
work ;)           Thanks again, Karen D'Andrea