From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 May 1998 23:50:02 EST

Miscellaneous Notes:
--------------------

From the Editor:  _The Sprue-nik Press_ got its start in November
1992, under the guidance of Jeanne Boldt.  Since then it has blossomed
and grown, with articles and short pieces from many group members.  In
the last few years we've included items from many other newsletters
and from the Celiac e-mail list on the internet.  Items from our
newsletter have found their way into dozens of other newsletters
around the country, and an online version of our newsletter has
appeared in the reference files of the Celiac e-mail list since
February of 1995.  This cooperation and sharing between so many US and
Canadian groups is a fine example of our motto, "Celiacs Helping
Celiacs."

This is the 48th issue of this newsletter, marking over 600 pages of
articles, recipes, conference talk summaries, reports from the four
presidents we've had over those years, poems, cartoons, and many other
tidbits.  All of you make this possible with your contributions, along
with the 40 other US and Canadian support groups with whom we share
newsletters.

Each of you has a story to tell, or some hints to pass on.  We share
these ideas verbally at meetings.  Why not take a few minutes and jot
your ideas down?  Whether you send a finished article or a set of
notes, we can use the material for the benefit of other group members,
and all the other celiacs that see our newsletter.  E-mail your ideas
to [log in to unmask] Lyles

                            -=-=-   -=-=-

Newsletter Reminder:  There will be no _Sprue-nik Press_ in June or
July.  The next issue will be distributed in August.

                            -=-=-   -=-=-

_Sully's Living Without_ is a new magazine meant to be a lifestyle
guide for people with food and chemical sensitivities.  The premiere
issue (Spring 1998, 60 pages) focused mostly on celiac disease and the
gluten-free diet.  This is not surprising, as the publisher (Peggy A.
Wagener) herself is gluten-intolerant, and Dr. Joseph Murray is one of
the medical advisors for the magazine.  Also, Carol Fenster (author of
_Special Diet Solutions:  Healthy Cooking Without Wheat, Gluten, Dairy,
Eggs, Yeast, or Refined Sugar_) is a contributing food editor for the
magazine, and Janet Rinehart (CSA/USA president) and Elaine Monarch
(Celiac Disease Foundation executive director) are on the magazine's
advisory board.  So it looks like articles of benefit to celiacs will
continue to appear in future issues.  The magazine is published
quarterly.  The subscription rate is $12 for one year or $20 for two
years.  To subscribe, write to Sully's Living Without, Inc., 1840
Industrial Drive, Suite 200, Libertyville, IL 60048-9400; call 6
30-415-3378; or fax 630-493-9511.

                            -=-=-   -=-=-

Recipe Hint:  Some recipes call for chow mein noodles, which are NOT
gluten-free (GF).  You can usually substitute GF potato sticks in
place of the chow mein noodles.  Depending on the brand you use, you
may have to cut back on the salt used in the recipe.  For example, in
a no-bake cookie recipe I recently made, I used unsalted peanuts to
compensate for the extra salt in the potato sticks.--Vicki Lyles

You know you're a celiac if...
   ...you've ever been caught licking a discarded Twinkie wrapper.
   ...at Christmas, visions of guar gum dance in your head.
   ...you've ever had to give a doctor a crash course in Celiac 101.
   ...you weep at picnics, parties, receptions and fast food joints.
   ...you weep at breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
   ...you've ever "brown bagged it" to an elegant dinner engagement.
   ...a 7 Course Meal is a 1 Course Meal for you.  Lettuce.
                                                        --Diane Wright