Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 2004 13:39:35 -0500

Hello,

Thank you to everyone who suggested restaurants in Portland, Oregon.

I had a great visit with my family in Portland and had some delicious gluten
free meals at restaurants.

These are the restaurants I tried:

The Dundee Bistro in Dundee, Oregon phone 503-554-1650.
Excellent food, service, and charming decor. I was there for lunch, but
ordered the salmon and grilled vegetables from the dinner menu. I also had a
delicious frozen chocolate dessert (similar to chocolate ice cream) with a
coconut cream sauce. My son, who also has celiac disease, also loved the
food. My husband was thrilled with his entree, a heart bouillabase (I'm not
sure if that dish is gluten free--I didn't try it). We shared the steamed
clams for an appetizer. Everything I ate was fabulous. Though we had
seafood, there are a variety of non-seafood items on the menu.

Old Wives' Tales in Portland, Oregon phone 503-238-0470.
I went to this restaurant 3 times and was very happy with the food and
service. They have a huge menu and a separate print out of their gluten free
selections! So many choices! Diner/cafe style atmosphere with an attached
playroom where kids can play while they wait for their food to be served. On
two separate occasions, I had the Greek rice (this dish has lots of feta and
asiago cheese and grilled vegetables) topped with a grilled wild salmon
filet. The other time I ate there, I had a roasted potatoes and vegetables
dish that was topped with gluten free spices and cheese. I had a grilled
wild salmon filet with that. There are a bunch of gluten free desserts to
choose from. I tried the lemon cake and also the swedish cream. Everything
was great.

Lazy Susan Grill in Cannon Beach, Oregon phone 503-436-9551.
Casual cafe atmosphere. Server had not heard of celiac disease, but looked
at my dining card and showed it to the person who prepared my food. I had a
green salad and a grilled steak with steamed vegetables and a baked potato.
Everything was prepared properly and tasted good. Server was friendly.

Corbett Fish House in Portland, Oregon phone 503-246-4434.
I had a very good experience the first time I visited this restaurant. Their
menu was marked GF next to the gluten free choices. The fried scallops and
fish were fresh and the server was friendly.
I went back a second time and had a different server. When the sever gave us
the menus, he put a bowl of crayons in front of my 4-year-old son. I did not
notice that he had also put gold fish crackers right in front of my son
because I was looking at the menu. Before I could stop him, my son put a
cracker in his mouth (he is just getting used to the celiac diet and
sometimes forgets he shouldn't eat wheat crackers). I made him spit the
cracker out and washed his mouth out, but he ended up getting sick. If a
restaurant caters to people in the celiac community, I don't think they
should give wheat crackers to a young child without asking the parent's
permission.

Thank you again for the advice about restaurants. Portland is a wonderful
city.

Alicia in Chicago