Date:
Sat, 17 Jun 2006 17:56:07 -0500
<<Disclaimer: Verify this information before applying it to your
situation.>>

Hi All--

I know this post won't be for everyone, but thought I'd write it anyway. It
might be good information for people to tuck away somewhere. I hope I'm not
the only one who didn't know this...

Many of us have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism, which is strongly
associated with celiac disease. Two weeks ago, I read a medical article
(can't recall the source now, though know it was reputable) regarding the
effect of broccoli, brussel sprouts, cauliflower and soya beans on the
thyroid. These foods should be avoided as they tend to lower thyroid levels.
This might explain why my doc is having a hard time getting my thyroid up to
par - meds aren't working well. I've found new ways to prepare broccoli,
brussel sprouts and cauliflower (roasting or grilling), which changes and
improves the texture and flavor, not to mention supports the retention of
vitamins because they aren't boiled away. Now I don't feel I can eat these
veggies, which dramatically reduces the number of veggies I can include in
my diet (sensitive to carrots, legumes, which includes green beans, peas,
lima beans, etc.)

As most of us try to remain positive about the GF diet by looking at the
glass as half full - "I can't have gluten, but look at all of the things I
CAN eat..." - I'm feeling a bit less optimistic. When I couldn't find the
original article, I Googled "thyroid + broccoli" and came up with hundreds
of articles that supported this fact. While vitamins are an essential part
of our lives, healthy foods contain trace amounts of amino acids, minerals,
etc. that we don't get by taking a pill.

Anyway, I hope this information is helpful.

Cheers,
Ayn in Alabama

*******
*******