From:
Mary Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Aug 2008 20:30:30 -0400

For those who asked for the summary of answers on low-effort fattening
food for a wheat and/or gluten intolerant friend of mine, here's Part
III:

A smoothie of fruit, milk or milk substitute would be high in calories.

There are now some excellent egg noodles available that are GF.  Makes
great chicken and noodles!  Also Bi-Aglut pastas are excellent; tastes
like the real thing.  Tapioca pudding is easy to make and a great way
to consume milk (assuming she's not also lactose intolerant). It's
also not too sweet.

There are also several really good whey proteins on the market that
are GF and can make great protein shakes.  I got a shaker at GNC that
doesn't leak, so I can take a shake anywhere with me.  (I add a packet
of sweetening and a few ice cubes along with the milk and water.)
Protein helps the body heal itself.

Amy's has several frozen things that are fairly palatable, and there
are several boxed soups (need no refrigeration until opened) that are
great - tomato, potato, leek, squash - that are even available in some
regular grocery store chains.  Check in the health food section.  I've
also found Gorilla Munch (a great cereal, but it's from corn like Kix
and slightly sweetened) at my local Giant Eagle.

Whole Foods has a great Prairie Bread that is excellent.  Because I
don't need to gain weight, when I want carbs, I eat potatoes instead
of bread.  (I used to put anything between 2 slices of bread and
called it good.)  Potatoes are easy, quick, and full of nutrition.
Many of the frozen potatoes are also GF.

Peanut butter, nuts and avacados.

In addition to having Celiac Disease, I also have Crohn's Disease (but
that's another story).  I began drinking Ensure because of the
Crohn's, but have found it to be very useful for the Celiac Disease as
well.  I've always had trouble taking vitamins, even though they're
very important to my well-being, because they make my stomach
extremely upset.  So, for awhile, I gave up on vitamins...but that
came back to haunt me, when my vitamin levels went out of whack.  I
tried Ensure as a last resort -- and sure enough, it's working!

It provides lots of good vitamins and other things that our hurting
intestinal systems have difficulty absorbing. Anyway, a tip from my
finely tuned taste buds: I highly suggest NOT drinking the vanilla
flavor.  The chocolate flavor, strawberries and cream, and butter
pecan are all delicious, but the vanilla is atrocious.  And, I usually
am a fan of all things vanilla!

For lunches for my husband and son, I fry corn tortillas, which are
dirt cheap, and make sandwhiches out of them.  I use brown rice pasta,
which is better for you than white rice, and it tastes great.  I cook
a lot of mexican dishes which call for a lot of cheese and sour cream.

Raw vegetables with Ranch dressing as dip or with cream cheese i.e
celery filled with it. Carl Budding cold cuts and spread cream cheese
on those and made rolls out of them for filling snacks that had
calories. Also baked potatoes loaded with whatever she can tolerate
(she should be able to do those in a toaster oven or microwave).

My personal favorite are Quaker rice cakes with peanut butter and
jelly, or cream cheese, tomato, mayo, mustard, and whatever meat I can
find to put on.

Fritos corn chips or other corn chips with a cheese sauce or salsa.
Also Cheetos, they are a good calorie packed snack.

Quinoa is very easy to make (as easy as rice) and has more protein
than wheat (has been referred to as a "super-grain").  I cook the
quinoa grain in GF broth, instead of water, to give it more flavor. I
also toss in some veggies (mushroom, peas, corn, peppers, zucchini,
etc.) for a more substantial meal and sprinkle it with parmesan
cheese. It is ready to eat in about 15 minutes and is quite tasty
(even my 7 year old son thinks so). I know most health foods carry it
and my local supermarket also sells it in the health food section.

Spread nut butter on banana slices.

Olives

*******
*******