From:
"J. Matzner" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
J. Matzner
Date:
Sat, 23 Aug 2003 11:40:14 -0500

Dear Listmates:

Following is the letter I wrote to Oprah.  It is too long to submit via
email so I will mail it at the post office today.  I encourage everyone to
email or write and ask that she take this column out of her monthly magazine.

J. Matzner

Dear Oprah:

I was shocked by Satalite Sisters comments about gluten-free children in
the September O Magazine.  And what shocks me even more, is that there is
not one single positive thing written in their article.  They come across
as rich, whiny and bitchy women who have nothing to do.

Oprah, I love your show and magazine because you are so positive.  You give
advise on improving health and was one of the first people to devote time
to your spirit.  Please read that entire article and explain to me where
there is one single uplifting remark!

Gluten was killing me and I almost died because my doctors thought I was
making up symptoms for attention and never took me seriously.  One in 133
people in the US have Celiac's Disease and are not able to eat wheat
gluten.  Wheat gluten, known to us by many names including "natural
flavorings," is added to almost all store bought food because it is a
preservative and a flavor enhancer.  I must maintain a gluten free diet or
I will die.

Oprah, I have 3 college degrees.  I proudly represented my county as an
athlete and won medals at international tournaments.  I am a coach.  One of
my student athletes was chosen to live and train on-site at the US Olympic
Training Center.   I have studied ballet all my life and continue to dance
as much as my health allows.  I am a supporter of the arts as well as other
charities.  I am a volunteer in my community.  I design websites and am
learning the UNIX operating system just for fun.  I wrote a children's book
that was pulled from the production schedule of a small New York press when
it reorganized and stopped publishing children's books because of budget
constraints.  I try to live a positive life despite many life challenges as
I believe most people try to do.  Would you say, "Sorry, but I think I'm
sick that day" in response to me asking to meet in a social situation?  Am
I a bore?  You tell me.

And what about other people who depend on gluten free diets?  Were the
Satellite Sisters implying they don't want to be friends with someone who
has an autistic child?  I moved a month ago and one of my "new" neighbors
adopted a child who later developed autism.  Autistic children, as I just
found out, also follow gluten free diets.  The autistic child is fun and
creative.  I didn't even know until his mother told me that he was
autistic.  And what will the Satellite Sisters say next?  You shouldn't be
friends with Jewish people because they follow a kosher diet?  Or maybe you
shouldn't let the neighbor next door join the mother's group because her
child has cancer?

All five women give advise on how to rudely blow people off in different
situations.  Here is Liz Dolan's advise:  "Call me again only if you have
landed the world's best gig and wish to thank me with a week at Canyon
Ranch."  Oprah, you have people from all walks of life on your show.  You
had a woman on your show who went through bad times and only made it
through because she had a pair of your shoes.  I think she couldn't even
really wear them because they were the wrong size, but just standing in
them got her through her dark times.  I hardly think this woman could have
thanked you with a week at Canyon Ranch.   Oprah, the Satellite Sisters
philosophy does not seem to mirror your philosophy.

Here are a two other examples of their comments, "I've constructed walls to
keep out control freaks, cat lovers, and the caffeine-free." and "But there
is always a small opening for those bearing gift clothes and size 7
shoes."  I do not own a cat but see nothing wrong with cats.  I do not see
anything wrong with being caffeine-free, many people give it up to be
healthier and some people just don't like the taste of coffee or drink
soda.  That said, I am scared to even think of what this woman's definition
is of a control freak!  Clearly from the second comment, even though she
believes I would probably be beneath her socially, she would tolerate me if
I came up with the money to buy her friendship with expensive
gifts.  Oprah, the Satellite Sisters philosophy does not seem to mirror
your philosophy.

Oprah, I also remember a show where you had someone on who helped people
tell those in their lives who were taking too much energy, in a nice way
that they were not going to see them anymore.  This woman said that there
are times when you must stop seeing people who drain you.  She also said
that not returning their calls is inappropriate and that they deserve an
honest explanation as to why you will no longer be friends with
them.  Oprah, the Satellite Sisters philosophy does not seem to mirror your
philosophy.

Oprah, I sincerely hope you decide to take the Satellite Sisters out of  O
Magazine.  They are bitchy and whiny.  The Satellite Sisters are not
consistent with anything I have learned from you over the years and I feel
you do yourself and all of your readers a great disservice by keeping
them.  I imagine it must be hard to find quality material for your magazine
every month, but read the article Oprah--there is nothing funny about 5
successful women ripping on people who aren't.  Oprah, the Satellite
Sisters philosophy does not seem to mirror your philosophy.  Please, take
their column out of your magazine.  They are not teaching me how to "Live
Your Best Life."

Sincerely,

J. Matzner