From:
Jim Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Sep 1998 20:04:33 EDT

On 8-3-98 Liz Crone posted info in flavored soup bases from L.B. Jamison
that stated that the company had assured her that they were basically GF.

Like a dummy, I took the info as 'real' and did not read the label.  I
made a wonderful swiss steak and gravy (used corn starch for thickening)
with the BEEF Flavored Soup Base for flavoring, and truly enjoyed my
meal.

Most of my reaction to gluten is DH, with some annoying, but minor,
intestinal reactions, so I don't usually see a reaction tho gluten for a
while and then it is a big guessing game to try to figure out where I
made the mistake.  That is what happened this time.  I never even
suspected the Jamison's.  I suspected bananas, corn nuts and all the time
the itching was driving me nuts.  For some reason I thought about the
Jamison's after about three days of that and went and read the label.
And sure enough, right there on the label it says 'wheat gluten' and
'caramel coloring'.

It sure makes me think about what several people have said recently in
their postings - READ THE LABEL.  Assurances from food manufacturers and
others are all well and good, but it is our own responsibility to READ
THE LABEL...

It was not a fun experience, but it does feel good to be able to figure
out how the "accident" happened and what caused it.

Gramps Jim
Missouri

We can all serve as an example to others - some only a BAD EXAMPLE