From:
A Gilliland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2005 17:13:50 -0800

Hi All--

In 2003, I posted the following question to the list and received a number of responses, but none that truly answered my question. One woman did write to me to tell me that there was a connection between allergies and the central nervous system (I think...my computer died at some point after that and I lost her email). If that person is still on the list and recalls what she sent to me, I would be forever grateful to get the information again so that I can take it to my doctor. Now for the question....I'm hoping a repeat of this question will jog people's memories of something they've read or heard in the past two years.

Constipation is my MO when I ingest gluten, as it is for many of us. When my allergies to mold, trees, grass and weeds are the worst, I suffer from constipation, too. Years ago, my allergist told me that there are known cross reactions/allergies to foods and environmental allergies. For example, if one has a known allergy to mold, eating hard cheeses will exacerbate allergic symptoms (unfortunately, he couldn't find the list of foods that cross react to environmental allergens and I can't find one myself). My question in 2003 was, does anyone know if there is a cross reaction/allergy of gluten to any environmental trigger such as weeds or grass, etc.? I take Allegra 180 mg every day, but during the spring and fall, my constipation is so severe that my doctor has become concerned. Let me add that I've tried all posted remedies for constipation to no avail. This makes me think that there must be something in my environment that makes me react as though I've ingested gluten. Perhaps a
 faulty theory, but it's the best I can come up with.

The one person who sent me the post that I lost sent me a link to a medical article or information that indicated allergies can affect the central nervous system, which controls the bowel, among other muscles in the body (again, I think....it's been too long for me to remember exactly). This makes sense to me as when I accidently ingest gluten, I feel as though I've been hit by a freight train, which may explain why people with fibromyalgia often feel better on a gluten-free diet. Perhaps another faulty theory...?

Anyway, if anyone is willing to share anecdotal or scientific information on this issue, I would appreciate hearing from you. I've been through allergy shots for my allergies to grass, weeds, mold and trees once with great success, but when my allergist determined I needed to continue them, my local reactions were so severe that he wouldn't continue. I'll be glad to summarize.

Cheers,
Ayn in Alabama