From:
Steve+Andrea Doran <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 24 Mar 2002 23:03:52 EST

>I am trying to find if there is a correlation between
>the hearing loss and the Celiac Disease.

Thank you to all who took the time to answer my questions.  We have an
appoinment with the audiologist tomorrow.  I'll bring your replies with me
and see if there is anything else she knows of that we should be
investigating with her, the ENT, or others in the medical field.  I will post
a message if I get any news.  BTW-both girls have been gf since the biopsy
results were positive-forgot to mention that.
Regards,
Andrea in MN

Have you tried your little girl on the gluten free diet?  You just never
know.  I recall reading that some autism cases are helped, most not,
probably, so, just maybe, deafness would be affected similarly.
Considering how frequently we hear about the need for more "awareness"  of
celiac, etc., and that there's so much need for research,   it may be worth a
try.  My sense of taste improved,  just as an example of a good effect of the
g-f diet you never hear about.  Betty, CT
***************************
I have a hearing loss. I am Celiac. My hearing loss was attributed to Scarlet
Fever I had when I was little. My youngest sister has a profound hearing
loss. She has not been diagnosed Celiac. However, is beginning to display
symptoms. Her hearing loss was attributed to having double pneumonia when she
was a baby.  We were both sickly children.  This was a concern of mine when I
had my children. I wanted to do everything possible to prevent hearing loss.
Because life ain't easy with a hearing loss. We hear half the things we
should and something wrong. I was always Very self contentious about it.
There is nothing they can do about my or my sisters hearing loss because it
is nerve damage. One of my son's has been diagnosed celiac. He has always
been healthy. Small in stature, hyper, but overall in good health. I recently
had both the children's tested as part of a routine every couple of years.
The only hearing problem they have is called selective hearing. No one else
in the family has a hearing loss, other then the elders and that is
attributed to old age. I doubt that hear loss and Celiac is linked in anyway.

*************************
Celiac disease is associated with all sorts of neurological problems, but
hearing
loss is not one that has been reported, to my knowledge.
Tom
**************************
while i cannot share specific information, i just wanted to offer my support
and prayers for your daughter's wellbeing. i am of the mind that there are no
"coincidences", and do not find it difficult to believe that celiac damage in
your daughter's young body could have spurned other systemic symptoms. i do
hope that being GF will heal her system equally. we are fortunate to live in a
time where she will have more options open to her than previous generations
have...
***********************************
I never gave that any thought I have a hearing deficit myself and always
blamed it on repeated sinus and ear infections, I am 38. I was dx last year
I've been gluten free, but I can tell you I cannot hear any better. Da
*********************************
My personal experience was that most of my sensory functioning improved when
I removed gluten from my diet.  In particular, my senses of smell and taste
are noticeably better.  I believe my hearing is slightly better, but I
certainly never experienced any profound loss.

By the way, I am from Minnesota too.  I live in Prior Lake.  There are some
resources in Minnesota which are highly respected and of which you may
already be aware.  But just in case, Dr. Joseph Murray at Mayo is often
mentioned on the Celiac list.  As to hearing, the Lions Hearing Foundation at
the U of M is very very good.  But you should know that I am very involved in
Lions Clubs, and was president of the St. Paul Downtown Lions Club for two
years.  I have toured the Hearing Foundation on a couple of occasions and
they are most impressive.

I also know that there are some articles out there about how Celiac can cause
eye problems.  My intraoccular pressure is elevated, and when I was at the U
of M Eye Clinic (where the Lions have the Eye Bank for corneal transplants),
I brought an article to my ophthalmologist.  I don't think you can expect
doctors from one discipline to know some of the crossovers from other
disciplines, even if they do have possible significance for their own
discipline.  (Hopefully that isn't too convoluted.)  But essentially, if
there isn't some big study with conclusive results, then I think you have to
bring the information forward for the doctor.  I personally do bring in
information and it has generally been received favorably.