Date:
Sun, 24 Nov 1996 11:00:36 -0700

May I suggest that you might be getting small amounts of gluten? Marsh
et. al. have demonstrated microvascular leakage at the site of rectal-gluten
challenge, in celiac patients.

> the next 1 and 1/2 hours trying to control the out
>of control bleeding I was doing in order to put me back together. They
>immediately did clotting tests and mine were all normal, but I was even
>having occassional nose bleeds with very bright bleeding. I had had
>surgery in June without any bleeding problems. Anyone have any ideas?

If you have been getting gluten in your diet, there is some evidence
to suggest intestinal bleeding is common among celiacs ingesting gluten.
It was reported in a NEJM article earlier this year, but I can't put my
hand on the article just now.

> All
>the Dr's asked about my CD. They gave me large doses of Vit K in the OR,
>but without any changes(but normally would take 24-48 hrs for changes). I
>am to see a haemotologist. I also have lost large amounts of hair
>recently.

The hair loss might also suggest gluten ingestion via increased
circulating antibodies, and molecular mimicry. (This is a hypothesis where
the antibodies to substances from outside the body are developed, and the
antigen is similar, in molecular structure,  to self-tissues that an
autoimmune attack ensues.)

Alterations in cholesterol, and sex hormone-binding globulins have also been
associated with gluten ingestion (Gates). There is a very complex
constellation of possibilities, many of which are suggestive of gluten.

An antibody test might shed some light on your current g-f status.

I am not a doctor. These are the musings of a fellow celiac, but I hope
they are helpful.

Sincerely,
Ron Hoggan