From:
Chara Armon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chara Armon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2012 20:09:41 -0400

Part IV

I was just speaking with someone with celiac disease yesterday, and he says
if it gets even a minute amount of gluten (cross-contamination) he's
hospitalized. Though he is in his 70s, and went through the ringer, as he
wasn't diagnosed until decades later, it still can make a larger effect on
some. When your body has inflammation it can affect the nerves.

I have TM (Transverse Myelitits), an inflammation of the spinal cord. I used
to think I had peripherial neuropathy as well, but after 2 1/2 years was
just recently diagnosed with TM. You should check it out to see if you have
any symptoms.

Before I went GF I had very painful PN in my feet and numbness in my
fingers. My feet were just about totally numb except for the pain.  I was
diagnosed with idiopathic small fiber PN. I was having difficulty walking
and the numbness was progressing up my legs and arms.

I stopped eating gluten 2003 and over the following 18 months I had a
wonderful reversal in my pain and numbness. I still have residual numbness
in my feet but in the past 2 years I am getting more temperature sense. I
can again wear regular shoes and walk comfortable barefoot in the house. My
feet no longer slow me down.

I know others who has mild symptoms of PN who got complete resolution of
these symptoms when they stopped eating gluten. I know others who, like me,
had great improvement but not total resolution.

Highly recommend striving to be 100% gluten free.
I'm 58 and have been GF for 16 years. I never knowingly eat gluten, but do
eat at restaurants. I may have to give that up for awhile.
I had a EMG, which confirmed carpal tunnel syndrome, but the neuro confirms
that I also have peripheral neuropathy as evidenced by increasing tingling
and numbness in fingers and toes, progressing to hands and feet. I've read
that peripheral nerves can regenerate, which would be the good news, right?

I'm reading more about nutrition and am convinced that supplementation is
not the answer, but tweaking diet might be.
Yesterday, I bought Eat to Live by Joel Fuhrman. It makes a lot of sense to
me and I'm preparing to give it a try.
I look forward to your summary and good luck to you!

High blood sugar can cause neuropathy. On the other hand when I took
metformin my face went pins and needles.  I read on the web that metformin
depletes your B12, so after a bottle and a half of 5000IU B12 sublingual
lozenges, my face is back to normal.  I gave up ice cream and gave up the
metformin also.  Metformin also gave me diarrhea, pain, and gas.  Better to
give up the sugar than have all that to deal with.

I had more neuropathy before I gave up nightshades (tomato, potato, pepper,
paprika, eggplant.  also tobacco but I dont' smoke) for my arthritis.

When I retain water from eating too much salt, I get itching and tingles in
my feet.  The diuretic relieves it but I really need to lose weight so my
salt sensitivity will diminish with my insulin level.  I am insulin
resistant/prediabetic.

When I had carpal tunnel a couple years ago in my hands, a friend who had
had CT told me to take B6 500mg 3x a day.  I never took it more than twice a
day but the pain and numbness went away.  I still have some weakness, but I
do alot of heavy work because of being caregiver for my mother (88). I am
56.

*******
*******