From:
William Elkus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Mar 1996 05:55:13 GMT

Elizabeth Mackie,[log in to unmask] asked:

>I've have been seriously considering having a baby.  But I have only been
>diagnosed coeliac for 6 months. Has anyone got any advice either for or
>against this?

I would suggest that you thoroughly check all your vitamin and mineral levels
before getting pregnant, as undiagnosed celiac is sometimes accompanied by
significant deficiences due to malabsorption.  Some birth defects are
associated with vit/min deficiencies, and in general the stress of pregnancy
would seem to be lower if your body has adequate stores.

You may want to consult a professional nutritionist on this topic instead of
relying on your regular doctor.... many of them are not taught much about
nutrition in medical school.

Bill Elkus
Los Angeles