From:
Marge Johannemann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Aug 2000 14:49:36 -0400

I would like to publicly thank Dr. Alessio Fasano and all of his
assistants, and Bob Levy  for the wonderful international meeting held
in Baltimore this past weekend.

This was the best I have attended to date, and provided a wide range of
information on celiac disease and gluten sensitivity. As reported by Dr.
Fasano, this meeting was the largest held thus far, with 39 states
represented, and a host of physicians and lay persons in attendance from
throughout the world.

We heard about new research, diagnostic dilemmas, genetically engineered
foods, new research into the genetics of CD, the gluten free diet and a
host of other subjects. The poster demonstrations were many and varied,
and the exhibitors booths represented a cross section of gluten free
items and services. The gluten free meals that were offered were
delicious!

One of the things that I personally found important to hear is that
distilled alcohols are safe for celiacs. This bit of great information
came from Dr. Don Kasarda, a renowned grain chemist. He also stated when
asked, that dietary lectins are not an issue and have nothing to do with
celiac disease. Of all the important information that came from this
meeting, getting a reliable and knowledgeable answer on these issues was
probably the most important to the celiac diet. I hope that this will
finally resolve all the questions and opinions on these subjects,  and
that we have heard the last about these controversies on our list serve.
If we can't trust the expert opinion of a renowned grain chemist who has
worked hard for the betterment of celiacs over the years, who can we
trust?

I applaud all the presenters for their excellent contributions and would
like to again, express my thanks to Dr. Fasano and Bob Levy for heading
up this great program.

Marge Johannemann,
Louisville, Kentucky