From:
Stan & Marian Narodowiec <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Dec 1998 09:34:29 -0500

Sorry this took so long to send, but my sitting time is still relatively
short.
Thank you to all who responded. It seems most felt it wasn't related to
the celiac, just sensitive skin. I should clarify that I've had surgery
in the past, but never had a problem with the tape, but this was the
first surgery since my celiac diagnosis. Hmmmm, that seems strange to me.
Oh well, just one more line to add to my "allergies."

Below are a few of the responses, and again, thanks to all.
Marian
***********
I don't know about the gf status, but medical tape often causes a severe
allergic reaction in people with sensitive skin (in some people, it
apparently looks like a second degree burn!).
***********
I am not celiac but was in the hospital 4 weeks ago for a blood clot and got an
itchy rash from the adhesive tape for the IVs. The blood taking nurse in my
doctor's office said that I had an allergy to adhesive tape and to tell them
next time to use paper tape, which doesn't stick as well but doesn't cause a
rash, so I guess this is not uncommon and maybe not related to celiac.
***********
I've had several hospital stays and discovered that the adhesive tape always
bothered me, too.  I now always request paper tape for anything that's going
to be on longterm.
***********
 I had the same experience as you did witht the tape. Never thought it
was a gluten reaction. I was just allergic to the glue because it happens
from all adhesives.  I did buy a non allergic silk tape for the coverage.
I had no stitches outside from bilateral lung surgery and when I lifted
off their tape, I had a rash and blisters that got infected
***********
Everything I've seen on this list (including posts from the listowners)
say that gluten can't be absorbed through the skin.... I have a number of
friends who aren't celiac at all, but have a hard time with bandage tape.
 There are supposed to be tapes that cause less of this kind of reaction.
**********
I am allergic to many kinds of adhesive tape.  There are adhesive tapes that
are specifically designed for people like us.  If you tell your doctor about
your problem, they can arrange for the correct tapes to be used on you and
you won't have a problem with rashes, etc.

For home use I have found that 3M PAPER FIRST AID TAPE is completely safe
for me.  This tape is porous and allows the skin the breath.  The package my
tape came in says that the "Hospital Name is MICROPORE.
many people have tape reactions-particularly that stretchy tape they use
after surgery.  It sticks too good!  I have seen many burns.  It is the only
tape surgeons use because it forms a pressure bandage to prevent more
bleeding.  Some people have more trouble with the tape burns than the
incision itself.  For regular bandage changes, we use paper tape.  It does
not stick well but does not cause burns.  I sometimes use paper tape and then
silk (NOT THAT RUBBERY STUFF) overtop with just an edge of the silk tape
actually touching the skin.  That seems to reduce the burns from silk tape.