From:
Helen Aqua <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 2000 07:19:35 -0700

Dear Listmates,

Upon reflection after reading some of the replies to my last post, I
realized that my mentioning how I was dealt with recently at a resort
was superseding my desire to find ways that anyone with any special diet
requirement could reasonably expect to be served appetizers, similar
main courses, desserts and snack items whether at a resort, a
restaurant, attending an all day or weekend seminar etc. etc.  In other
words, anytime the food is fully supplied and I have given lots of
notice that I'm celiac (and this could be changed to read "I'm
vegetarian, diabetic, kosher, lactose intolerant etc etc")

As it happens, on my lunch hour strolI yesterday, I wandered into a
store that sells only cookbooks and discovered a free tabloid called
City Foods that led me to a web-site that has links to restaurant
associations, chef associations, resort groups etc etc.

So, now what I plan to do is put together a letter/package to each of
these groups and see what kind of reply I get.

I feel that the statement "do unto others as you would have them do unto
you" is really what I'm after, and in this case I'm talking about being
served meals and snacks just like everyone else when in a situation
where all meals, snacks etc are 100% provided (and I have let them know
with plenty of notice that my diet is restricted to gluten free &
provided them with written info about dealing with celiac needs)..

For any others of you who want to offer suggestions or reply to my first
posting called Survey...., please try to go beyond my experience at the
resort and instead think about the big picture.

Thanks,
Helen