From:
beth kassis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
beth kassis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Apr 2005 18:32:29 -0700

Hi All,

I had many, many responses to my post about where to purchase GF foods in Italy and what to to for restaurants etc.  Many people wanted me to summarize the responses as they are also planning a trip to Italy.  One person is actually moving there this fall.  I hope this information is helpful to all of you.  I also assure you that when we return at the end of July, I will summarize in detail what my personal experiences were.

For those of you who missed my post......We are travelling to Italy this summer for 3 weeks with our 11 year old celiac daughter.  Here is the summary of all of the helpful information I received:

In general, Italian people are more aware of celiac disease than we are here in the United States.  In Italy, children are typically screened for celiac disease at a young age so they are more readily diagnosed than here.

The follwing is the web-site for the Italian celiac society.  There is helpful information here.
The second address is the page for a list of restaurants by region that offer GF cooking.  I took a copy of the page that describes the restaurant program and had my Italian teacher read it to me.
Basically, in order to have a restaurant on this list, they have to have special training in cooking GF foods safely, they are inspected on a regular basis, they are a member of the celiac society and are very informed in every aspect.  It also states that when you plan on dining in their restaurant to call ahead and make a reservation and tell them about the GF needs.  You must speak to the person that is listed as the contact on the restaurant listing.
I know this sounds complicated, but I'm sure that wherever you are staying (be it a hotel or apartment etc) there will be a helpful italian speaking person that could make the reservation for you.

http://www.celiachia.it/

Restaurant Listing:

http://www.celiachia.it/ristoratori/ristoratori.asp

Eating out in Restaurants

Many people suggested bringing an Italian translation card that describes celiac disease and what you cannot eat.  "Jax Lowell's book against the grain has one" or "the gluten intollerance group has them".
In general, there is usually grilled meats and fish.  There is a lot of polenta which is corn and risotto which is rice.  Most sauces are not thickened with flour.

Here are a couple of great ideas people gave me for eating pasta:

"I am listing below what I copied on a bright neon orange heavy paper and
then laminated it. The words in English are on one side and Italian on the
other. I made enough to not have to ask for it back (it was seldom given
back). I was able to just hand that to the waiter/waitress and then discuss
as needed. On the pasta ones, I put one serving of uncooked pasta in a
baggie with the bright orange note for the pasta stapled on. Then I just
handed that to the waiter/waitress when I wanted to have pasta with my meal.
It all worked very well."

I am very allergic to gluten. I cannot eat food prepared with wheat, rye,
barley, oats and all their derivatives: meaning anything containing flour,
bread, pasta, or semolina. The following are allowed: mais, mais starch,
potatoes, potato starch, pulse, meat, fruit, vegetables, corn, and rice if
prepared without using derivatives from forbidden cereals. Thank you!

Please be also careful that there aren t any traces of gluten in the sauce
(flours, glutamate, bouillon, grain starch).

Non parlo Italiano. Ho una seria allergia al glutine. Non posso mangiare
cibi preparati con grano, segale, orzo, avena e tutti i loro derivati:
dunque tutto cir che contiene farina, pane, pasta, semolino, o che contiene
"aromi naturali". Sono permessi mais e amido di mais, riso, patate e fecola
di patate, legumi, carne, frutta e verdure, purchi siano preparati senza
usare derivati dei cereali proibiti. Possopero mangiare cibi che contengono
riso e grantusco. Grazie!

Also, here is another translation:

 "here is my GF pasta.
 Please cook it in a clean pan using clean utensils, clean water, etc. and

use with (whichever sauce you have determined is GF). "

ECCO LA MIA PASTA SENZA GLUTINE.  POTREBBE CUOCERLA PER ME IN UNA PENTOLA A

PARTE USANDO NUOVA ACQUA, UNO SCOLAPASTA PULITO ED UN CUCCHIAIO PULITO (ANCHE

LA TRACCIE DI GLUTINE MI FANNO MALE).  MI RACCOMANDO ANCHE CHE NON CI SIANO

TRACCIE DI GLUTINE NEL CONDIMENTO (FARINE, GLUTAMMA, DAD, AMIDO DI GRANO)."

 Where to purchase GF foods

Most grocery stores and Farmacias have GF foods.  The bigger the Farmacia, the bigger the selection.  Most of them carry Dr. Schar.  They make really good Gf products in my opinion.

They have a web-site where you can see what they make.  They are made in Italy.  They have bread, rolls, focaccia etc.

GF Accomodations

One person has stayed on a farm in Umbria where they cook GF for them.  This is a typical accomodation in Italy.  The farm looks wonderful.  I wish I had known about it before I made our reservations!

http://www.holiday-rentals.com/index.cfm/property/13797.cfm

The only meal that will be difficult is breakfast.  They serve a lot of bread and rolls at the B&B type of hotels.  One person brought along individual servings of jam to put on GF crackers or rolls.  Another person brought individual baggies of cereal.  I will definately do that.

Thanks to all of this information, I am not really worried about being able to eat GF in Italy.  I know we will have a great time.  Besides....the best thing to eat in Italy is the Gelato!

Thank you very much to EVERYONE who responded.  What a great resource for information you have all been.

Ciao,

Beth