Date:
Sat, 13 Jan 2001 16:34:59 -0500

Following is a summary of the responses I received regarding the gluten
free status of West Virginia Brand Ham.  Thanks for all your replies!

No one knew specifically of the GF status of this brand of ham. (I have
placed a call to an 800# for Hygrade Food Products (Ball Park Brands)
that I found in the archives, but an answering machine takes the calls
and requests you leave a message. So far I have not received a response,
but will let you know if I do.)

"...most Hormel brand hams are gluten free.  I called Hormel about 3
months ago... and asked about Cure 81 and Curemaster hams.  They are
gluten free...  Hormel does not publish a gluten free list but they said
to call them and they can tell you about individual items.  The hams we
have bought are the small ones without a bone but over the holidays I
saw large Hormel bone-in hams that were also I believe Cure81.  They had
a packet with glaze in it that for some reason I think was not gluten
free but hopefully it would not contaminate the ham...

Personally, I like to support Hormel because their pepperoni actually
says gluten free on the package.  This is the first regular grocery
store item I have ever seen marked GF!..."

"...Cook's hams are GF as are Hormel Cure 81 and Smithfield.  All three
brands are pretty well available at most grocery stores here [Illinois].
Also, Dubuque canned hams are GF..."

"...if it says "water added" it's suspect..."

"I'm afraid to eat any hams that I don't know were prepared in my local
store or by myself.  I read a recent article somewhere that the FDA is
now allowing "ham water" to contain a filler of unspecified origin."

(Does anyone know any more specifics about the ham water issue mentioned
above?)

One listmate from the area suggested I try the Whole Foods market, which
I will do. Also recently I did find Boar's Head hams at a local gourmet
grocery/fruit market (Papa Joe's in Rochester Hills), and I have seen
many varieties of Boar's Head hams on the gluten free lists that I have.

Thanks again for your responses.

Pam
Rochester Hills, MI